RE: MKE county let Private Utility Corps (AT&T) copyright our public data!

1 view

Dan Knauss

May 18, 2009, 5:19:06 PM5/18/09
to d...@newlocalmedia.com
This is from the WIGCC email list, which I recently discovered. If you are interested in weighing in on data sharing policy for Wisconsin GIS or know someone who is, please pass this along.

=======

Colleagues,

GIS data sharing policy has been identified by geographic information stake holders throughout Wisconsin as an important issue to be resolved. At the Wisconsin Geographic Information Coordination Council meeting April 16, 2009, this issue was identified as one of the top 4 issues for the Council to pursue. The following action was assigned:

Data Sharing Policy –create, develop and defend a specific data sharing policy for the state of Wisconsin

The Council would like begin to take action and engage the Network on this issue. During the Network meeting on June 10, 2009, the council will present a proposed process for taking this action. The intent of the message is to inform the Network about what will be discussed at the meeting and begin the process of getting feedback and ideas.

A posting describing the proposed process to "Develop a recommended data sharing strategy for statewide use. " has been made to the WIGICC Website "Data Policy" forum. Please visit the forum, and provide any comments, questions, concerns and suggestions.

We would like to see a lively discussion about what we will need to do to resolve this issue and how we can design a process to take action that meets the needs of the broad Wisconsin stake holder community.

Thank you

dick vraga

USGS Geospatial Liaison for Wisconsin

NSDI Partnership Office