Milwaukee County mapping site using copyrighted data (Please Comment)

Dan Knauss

May 27, 2009, 12:38:31 PM5/27/09
to Open Everything Milwaukee
If you have a moment to read and respond to this blog at the Milwaukee
Journal Sentinel, I would appreciate it. Part of the difficulty in
getting open gov data is raising it to awareness as a priority.

Milwaukee County mapping site using copyrighted data
By Ben Poston of the Journal Sentinel
May. 26, 2009
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/45709292.html

Douglas A. Whitfield

May 27, 2009, 3:23:04 PM5/27/09
to oe...@googlegroups.com
I know US Government work cannot legally be copyrighted. Are their
similar laws at the state or local level? If there were, seems like
this would be an easy fight...

Dan Knauss

May 27, 2009, 3:28:07 PM5/27/09
to oe...@googlegroups.com
Undoubtedly that is why they are moving to correct the situation. The deeper problem is why they ever thought it was a good idea and why their overall aim still is to block the general public from easy access to usable data.

_____

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> .

Dan Knauss (dan@newlocalmedia.com).vcf