Vancouver goes open source

1 view

Dan Knauss

May 18, 2009, 2:33:43 PM5/18/09
to Open Everything Milwaukee
Activists push city endorsements of open source

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4223

Vancouver moves to “open source” government

http://www.francesbula.com/?p=1603

Open Source, Open Standards, Open Data, Open Vancouver

http://ascher.ca/blog/2009/05/15/open-vancouver/

City of Vancouver set to back open source, open standards, open data

http://www.straight.com/article-220944/city-vancouver-set-back-open-source-open-standards-open-data

Does a Vancouver proposal related to open source mean a new GIS?

http://apb.directionsmag.com/archives/5796-Does-a-Vancouver-proposal-related-to-open-source-mean-a-new-GIS.html

"In a word, "no", it does not mean anything about software or Digital
Cities. ICIS is just a province-level data sharing arrangement where
municipalities and regional districts pool their cadastre and exchange
data with the province and local utility companies. Vancouver never
joined because they didn't think they got enough out of it to warrant
giving away their cadastre for "free" to the other partners."

[ICIS SOUNDS LIKE A CANADIAN EQUIVALENT OF MCAMLIS IN MILWAUKEE
COUNTY.]

kmz#usgl_principal_ports_2005

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/maps/gis/

When GOOD data sharing ocurs, this is what happens:

...it gets used by public and private academic institutions:

http://www.geography.wisc.edu/maplib/gis.html

http://coastal.lic.wisc.edu/wisconsin-ims/wisconsin-ims.htm

http://libinfo.uark.edu/GIS/us.asp

http://sco.wisc.edu/wisclinc/ [WISCLINC is a clearinghouse effort in
Wisconsin maintained by the Wisconsin State Cartographer's Office.
WISCLINC is part of a network of NSDI nodes which contribute to the
progress of federal initatives such as Geospatial One-Stop and The
National Map. WISCLINC pulls together records of geospatial data, land
records websites and statewide land information inventory survey.]

http://sco.wisc.edu/wisclinc/survey/index.php

...it gets shared among the states and federal gov:

http://gisinventory.net/about.html

http://gos2.geodata.gov/wps/portal/gos

http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/

...and private entities try to sell it: