SlideShare oEmbed support

Jai Pandya

May 13, 2011, 5:41:32 AM5/13/11
to OEmbed
Hey folks,

I am happy to inform you that we have recently started supporting
oEmbed on SlideShare (http://www.slideshare.net) - the world's largest
community for sharing presentations online.

URL scheme: http://www.slideshare.net/*/*
API endpoint: http://www.slideshare.net/api/oembed/1
Supports discovery via <link> tags
Format: json, xml, jsonp
Example: http://www.slideshare.net/api/oembed/1?url=http://www.slideshare.net/haraldf/business-quotes-for-2011&format=json

For more information, please check http://www.slideshare.net/developers/oembed,
We would be happy have any comment or feedback on our implementation.

-Jai Pandya

Brion Vibber

May 13, 2011, 6:15:50 AM5/13/11
to oem...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Jai Pandya <jaip...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am happy to inform you that we have recently started supporting
oEmbed on SlideShare (http://www.slideshare.net) - the world's largest
community for sharing presentations online.

URL scheme: http://www.slideshare.net/*/*
API endpoint: http://www.slideshare.net/api/oembed/1
Supports discovery via <link> tags
Format: json, xml, jsonp
Example: http://www.slideshare.net/api/oembed/1?url=http://www.slideshare.net/haraldf/business-quotes-for-2011&format=json

Cool! And I'm very happy to see things using the 'rich' data type -- oEmbed ain't just for photos and video.

One minor problem; the thumbnail URL on the example is returned with a Content-Type of text/plain though it seems to be a JPEG file: http://cdn.slidesharecdn.com/110103quotes2010-12-110103073149-phpapp01-thumbnail

This causes Firefox to offer it as a download rather than showing the image, at least on a direct load.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org / brion @ pobox.com)

Jai Pandya

May 14, 2011, 2:41:43 AM5/14/11
to oem...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com> wrote:
Cool! And I'm very happy to see things using the 'rich' data type -- oEmbed ain't just for photos and video.

One minor problem; the thumbnail URL on the example is returned with a Content-Type of text/plain though it seems to be a JPEG file: http://cdn.slidesharecdn.com/110103quotes2010-12-110103073149-phpapp01-thumbnail

This causes Firefox to offer it as a download rather than showing the image, at least on a direct load.

Thanks for the feedback Brion. We'll fix this issue soon.

-Jai Pandya