YouTube oembed now returning as3 swf

Geoff Stearns

Jan 19, 2011, 4:37:00 PM1/19/11
to oem...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Just an FYI, we (YouTube) are in the process of updating our oembed response to send an as3 swf instead of the older as2 swf.

Ideally, if oembed lives up to the hype there should be no issue :), as we are simply changing the url to the player swf, but I wanted to send out a note just in case anyone notices anything funny going on.

The only difference is the player url will change from:

to:

Juan Carlos Anorga

Jan 31, 2011, 4:09:16 PM1/31/11
to OEmbed
Hi Geoff,

Great news that you guys are updating to the new player. I'm running
into an issue now, though. It seems that iOS can no longer recognize
that the video is a playable youtube video. Changing the *e* back to
*v* seems to fix this.

-- juan

On Jan 19, 1:37 pm, Geoff Stearns <tensafefr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just an FYI, we (YouTube) are in the process of updating our oembed response
> to send an as3 swf instead of the older as2 swf.
>
> Ideally, if oembed lives up to the hype there should be no issue :), as we
> are simply changing the url to the player swf, but I wanted to send out a
> note just in case anyone notices anything funny going on.
>
> The only difference is the player url will change from:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/*v*/<video id>...
>
> to:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/*e*/<video id>...

Geoff Stearns

Jan 31, 2011, 4:43:53 PM1/31/11
to oem...@googlegroups.com
Yes, unfortunately this is a known issue. Apple knows about our change and is expected to update their Safari app to recognize the new urls soon (though this will obviously require an iOS update...)