Downloadable JSON list of oEmbed Providers

Deepak Sarda

Nov 19, 2010, 9:39:02 AM11/19/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I was making some changes to oohEmbed to allow me to more easily add proxy support for existing oEmbed providing sites & I decided to make that information available for download to everyone.

The above URL will give you a json file containing a list of all the oEmbed providers that I know about.

Sample:
[
{
"url": "http://*.youtube.com/watch*",
"url_re": "youtube\\.com/watch.+v=[\\w-]+&?",
"title": "YouTube"
},
]

I am hoping this would be useful to client libraries as a tool to figure out which endpoints to talk to for given URLs even if they don't use a proxy like oohEmbed.

Cheers,
Deepak.

Michael Sullivan

Nov 19, 2010, 10:58:32 AM11/19/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com, federated-...@googlegroups.com
smart move.

Scot Hacker

Nov 19, 2010, 11:31:43 AM11/19/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
There are 155 of them listed here -

Seems like your list needs a few more? :)

./s

Charl van Niekerk

Nov 19, 2010, 11:48:02 AM11/19/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Scot Hacker <sha...@birdhouse.org> wrote:
> There are 155 of them listed here -
> http://api.embed.ly/

Managed to get a list from this URL:

http://api.embed.ly/1/services

Any chance you guys could work together to standardize a certain
"vocabulary" (to use the semweb term) for these?

Deepak Sarda

Nov 19, 2010, 9:24:21 PM11/19/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 12:31 AM, Scot Hacker <sha...@birdhouse.org> wrote:
There are 155 of them listed here -

Seems like your list needs a few more? :)

Not all of them are actually oembed providers. Embed.ly is using other APIs and/or scraping the rest of the sites just like oohEmbed does for sites which don't have oembed providers.

Deepak Sarda

Nov 19, 2010, 9:26:45 PM11/19/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Charl van Niekerk <cha...@charlvn.com> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Scot Hacker <sha...@birdhouse.org> wrote:
> There are 155 of them listed here -
> http://api.embed.ly/

Managed to get a list from this URL:

http://api.embed.ly/1/services

That list seems to be to make it easy for client libraries to talk to embed.ly. The list I've provided is so that clients don't have to talk to oohEmbed!

Different goals.

Cheers,
Deepak.

Don MacAskill

Nov 20, 2010, 12:59:26 AM11/20/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com

SmugMug has had support for quite awhile: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/API/oEmbed

Enjoy :)

Don

Deepak Sarda

Nov 20, 2010, 1:16:12 AM11/20/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Don MacAskill <d...@smugmug.com> wrote:

SmugMug has had support for quite awhile: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/API/oEmbed

Enjoy :)

Nice! One thing that's missing as required by the oEmbed spec is the "URL Scheme" for the endpoint.

Scot Hacker

Nov 20, 2010, 1:24:33 AM11/20/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 19, 2010, at 6:26 PM, Deepak Sarda wrote:

That list seems to be to make it easy for client libraries to talk to embed.ly. The list I've provided is so that clients don't have to talk to oohEmbed!

Different goals.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. With luck, the presence of the vendors on embed.ly's list will encourage them to build in real oembed support.

./s

Don MacAskill

Nov 23, 2010, 6:49:08 PM11/23/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com