OEmbed license

Paul Lindner

Nov 5, 2010, 3:05:13 PM11/5/10
to OEmbed
Is OEmbed released under a specific license? Any chance it could get
released with an OWFa style license?

http://www.openwebfoundation.org/faqs/how-to-use-owfa

Without explicit IP you'll find certain large companies unwilling to
work with it.

Thanks!

Cal Henderson

Nov 8, 2010, 9:48:15 PM11/8/10
to Paul Lindner, OEmbed
On 11/8/2010 6:38 PM, Paul Lindner wrote:
> Is OEmbed released under a specific license?

no

> Any chance it could get
> released with an OWFa style license?

it sounds sensible, and we've actually just been discussing doing it. however, i
don't know that i understand what we'd actually have to *do*, to make it happen.
advice is welcome!

--cal

Paul Lindner

Nov 9, 2010, 2:46:29 AM11/9/10
to Cal Henderson, OEmbed, Dewitt Clinton
Hi Cal,

You just need to get all of the authors to sign the OWFa and publish it somewhere that makes sense (on oembed.com for example..)

You then need to add the boilerplate text mentioned in the FAQ:

+dewitt as he's been through this before.

Paul Lindner

Nov 8, 2010, 9:38:58 PM11/8/10
to OEmbed, leah....@gmail.com, c...@iamcal.com
ping

+leah, cal

Aadaam

Nov 9, 2010, 1:47:49 PM11/9/10
to OEmbed
My original two cents: real open licenses are in public domain.

I'm trying to find a reference for you stating that all RFCs are in
public domain (at least, I do remember some tales Jon Postel being a
hippi enough to not let people even think about any other kind of
licenses), it seems however, that this question was under dispute for
a long time - they didn't care for it (RFC 1310, Appendix B), then
they had a more restrictive one (RFC 3978), now, it's overcomplicated
(RFC 4748)

Also, W3C licenses aren't in the public domain somehow:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231

XMPP licenses are trying to be close to the public domain (I know
Peter personally, and all of his personal stuff is in public domain):
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0001.html#appendix-legal

Honestly, I never joined the creative commons bandwagon, and release
everything in the least restrictive license possible - to have as few
barriers to open thinking and innovation as possible.

Paul Lindner

Nov 9, 2010, 2:21:40 PM11/9/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
I don't care that much what license it is just so that it's _some_ license.  I'm happy to go with whatever the community consensus is.

Who wants to work with me to get this taken care of?

Ómar Kjartan Yasin

Nov 9, 2010, 4:22:25 PM11/9/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

We've invested quite a lot of time in developing OEmbed enabled solutions for use in the enterprise. I have had quite a few questions in relations to OEmbed licensing so it would be lovely to get some closure in this matter.

Cheers!
Ómar

Paul Lindner

Nov 10, 2010, 1:19:46 PM11/10/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com, Cal Henderson
Okay, let's take some baby steps.  If you have contributed specific text to the OEmbed specification _or_ know the specifics of who contributed please respond to this thread.

We will need to have everyone that contributed sign an individual contributor license agreement.  Further if a corporation sponsored the work for this we'd like to have them come forward with a CLA as well.

Cheers,
Paul

Richard Crowley

Nov 10, 2010, 1:22:51 PM11/10/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Paul Lindner <lin...@inuus.com> wrote:
> Okay, let's take some baby steps.  If you have contributed specific text to
> the OEmbed specification _or_ know the specifics of who contributed please
> respond to this thread.
> We will need to have everyone that contributed sign an individual
> contributor license agreement.  Further if a corporation sponsored the work
> for this we'd like to have them come forward with a CLA as well.

I suppose this means me, too.

Mike Malone

Nov 10, 2010, 2:18:46 PM11/10/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
As a contributor, I'm happy to sign a license agreement or assignment on whatever I've contributed.

Regarding public domain: releasing something into the public domain is meaningless in jurisdictions that don't allow people to waive moral rights. In those places it is necessary for the owner to retain ownership but release "the work" with an explicit license that gives others freedom to use it. Creative Commons does that for copyright. That's why some people say that "CC0 is more public domain than public domain."

There's also the question of what you're "releasing" - the text of the specification is protected by copyright law, but the ideas may have some other protections. As far as I know, OEmbed is not encumbered by patent or any other moral rights. But if we're going to do this right, that probably needs to be explicitly acknowledged somewhere. Organizations like the Apache Foundation and the OWF exist, in part, to create generic legal frameworks that both release creators of liability and fully un-encumber intellectual property so that it can be freely used by others.

It would be nice if it was as simple as just saying "this is public domain," but the world we live in is too big of a fucking mess.

Mike

Leah Culver

Nov 10, 2010, 2:27:30 PM11/10/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to sign a license agreement as well. OWFa looks good to me.

Leah

Cal Henderson

Nov 10, 2010, 2:45:35 PM11/10/10
to Paul Lindner, oem...@googlegroups.com
On 11/10/2010 10:19 AM, Paul Lindner wrote:
> Okay, let's take some baby steps. If you have contributed specific text to the
> OEmbed specification _or_ know the specifics of who contributed please respond
> to this thread.
>
> We will need to have everyone that contributed sign an individual contributor
> license agreement. Further if a corporation sponsored the work for this we'd
> like to have them come forward with a CLA as well.

Richard, Mike, Leah and myself will all need to sign CLAs. Just print this one,
fill out the bottom and then give it to me in person (I think someone needs to
hold the originals?).
http://oembed.com/cla_blank.doc

The agreement, which I guess I should sign (?) is here:
http://oembed.com/agreement.doc

We've also recently talked off-list about putting the spec document under
Creative Commons unported/international attribution 3.0 license, although we're
waiting to hear back from a few people as to whether that's the best CC license
to go with (comments welcome).
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

--cal

Paul Lindner

Nov 12, 2010, 7:57:35 AM11/12/10
to Cal Henderson, oem...@googlegroups.com, Dewitt Clinton
Thanks for getting this moving Cal.  Dewitt mentioned that there might be possible to use Docusign to file these CLAs.

Dewitt: is there a documented process for doing this?

Paul Lindner

Nov 23, 2010, 3:05:30 PM11/23/10
to Cal Henderson, oem...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Since I haven't heard back from Dewitt I suggest going forward with
the signed doc approach.

Note that you don't need to keep the originals. A scanned or faxed
copy is acceptable. One just needs to store these scanned/faxed
versions somewhere on oembed.com

For an example of this see

http://ostatus.org/owfa/

Cheers,
Paul

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Cal Henderson <c...@iamcal.com> wrote:

rbaxter85

Dec 12, 2010, 7:30:21 PM12/12/10
to OEmbed
What is the status on getting these license agreements signed?
> Paul Lindner -- lind...@inuus.com -- linkedin.com/in/plindner

Paul Lindner

Dec 15, 2010, 1:59:06 PM12/15/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com, Cal Henderson, leah....@gmail.com, r...@rcrowley.org, mjma...@gmail.com
Haven't heard a peep....

so sad....

Here's the deal. You sign the CLA, I send you a crisp $20 bill or
donate to the charity of your choice.

Let's get this thing done..

Richard Crowley

Dec 15, 2010, 4:50:05 PM12/15/10
to Paul Lindner, oem...@googlegroups.com, Cal Henderson, leah....@gmail.com, mjma...@gmail.com
Anybody have an address I can mail it to? I have it printed out but
realized that I never see Cal and thus will never be able to hand it
to him.

Mike Malone

Dec 17, 2010, 1:39:47 PM12/17/10
to oem...@googlegroups.com, Cal Henderson, leah....@gmail.com, r...@rcrowley.org
I sent a scan to Cal :). Got a mail delivery error when I sent to the group because it was > 4MB.

rbaxter85

Jan 6, 2011, 8:37:23 PM1/6/11
to OEmbed
I head this has been completed....is it done? If so can it be
documented on the oEmbed spec site?

On Dec 17 2010, 1:39 pm, Mike Malone <mjmal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I sent a scan to Cal :). Got a mail delivery error when I sent to the group
> because it was > 4MB.
>

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Paul Lindner <lind...@inuus.com> wrote:
> > Haven't heard a peep....
>
> > so sad....
>
> > Here's the deal.  You sign the CLA, I send you a crisp $20 bill or
> > donate to the charity of your choice.
>
> > Let's get this thing done..
>
> > oembed+un...@googlegroups.com<oembed%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/oembed?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > Paul Lindner -- lind...@inuus.com -- linkedin.com/in/plindner
>
> > --
> > .

Paul Lindner

Jan 18, 2011, 12:29:06 AM1/18/11
to oem...@googlegroups.com
ping...

Paul Lindner -- lin...@inuus.com -- linkedin.com/in/plindner

Mike Malone

Jan 18, 2011, 2:36:21 PM1/18/11
to oem...@googlegroups.com
Is there anything left for me to do on this? I'm not sure what we're blocking on here anymore.

Cal Henderson

Jan 18, 2011, 4:49:31 PM1/18/11
to oem...@googlegroups.com
On 1/18/2011 11:36 AM, Mike Malone wrote:
> Is there anything left for me to do on this? I'm not sure what we're blocking on
> here anymore.

basically just me. i have your scan, leah's original and my original. need to
scan those two. don't have one from richard yet, but i'll ping him direct about
that.

--cal

Ryan Baxter

Jan 25, 2011, 11:45:46 AM1/25/11