odsp and credit cards

Scott Young

Dec 9, 2019, 10:41:42 AM12/9/19
to ODSP Fireside
hi guys just a general question are we allowed to have credit cards while being on odsp? some of the rules certainly dont allow people to get ahead
just curious if anyone knows i cant find anything in the directives
thanks

🐱

Dec 9, 2019, 10:51:45 AM12/9/19
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely.

Graeme Treeby

Dec 9, 2019, 11:31:40 AM12/9/19
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com

I would suggest that people be cautious with respect to credit cards.  If you run a balance on the card, I understand that it is considered by ODSP to be a loan.  The policy directive 5.1 exempts loans from income if:

  • Loans including a reverse mortgage used for an approved purpose. Approved purposes include:
    • the purchase of approved disability-related items or services;
    • expenses for health-related reasons as supported by a medical doctor, and approved by the Director;
    • business loans;
    • Ontario Student Assistance Program payments for tuition, books, transportation costs, instructional supplies and other compulsory fees related to a post-secondary institution;
    • approved personal loans for training or education costs as long as the person is attending the program or training for which the loan was taken or intended and that the funds are applied to education or training within a reasonable period of time. See Directive 5.11 Post-Secondary Education;
    • loans to recipients for assets that are exempt, (e.g. motor vehicles, principle residences);
    • loans for the payment of first and last month’s rent;
    • loans for the purchase of normal household items;

If the credit card balance wasn't used for the above, it is my understanding that the ODSP will consider it to be income and deduct it from the cheque.  So I think people must be sure to pay off the card every month.

Cheers...Graeme

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Graeme Treeby

The "Special Needs" Planning Group

70 Ivy Crescent, Stouffville, ON L4A 5A9

Phone/Fax 905 640-8285

www.specialneedsplanning.ca

           SNPG_logo2

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain private, confidential, and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or this information has been inappropriately forwarded to you, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original.

image005.png
image006.jpg

L B

Dec 9, 2019, 1:08:59 PM12/9/19
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com

Yes. However, it is my understanding that any debt you incur on it can be considered income if the purchase wasn’t pre-approved by ODSP.

Louise

auntie...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2019, 1:19:30 PM12/9/19
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com

I put everything on my credit card (so I can get the points and save $10 on groceries or at Shoppers Drug Mart just about every week, and for 15 years no one cared.

I’m retired now but get the Seniors Medical Transport and assorted helps like walkers, etc. thru them.
No one ever had a problem with it and workers changed about every 2-3 years!

Besides, what’s on your credit card is no one’s business and you do NOT have to divulge your credit statement to anyone.

Karen Szumski

Dec 9, 2019, 11:33:32 PM12/9/19
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have used a credit card. When they do an income audit on occasion, they ask for a copy of your credit card statement to be sent in. I have never incurred a problem having my card and odsp does check your credit reports so it knows how many cards you have and your balances owing and payments to be made. You just have to use it wisely.

Thank  you,

Karen