ODSP now doing medical reviews and kicking people off?

Liam T.

May 19, 2015, 10:24:03 PM5/19/15
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
I was reading this article on the Toronto Star-  http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/05/16/ontario-to-rethink-disability-welfare-reviews.html

Did anyone go thru this? Do we need to worry?

18 pages of medical review ?

Goldielover

May 20, 2015, 1:41:35 AM5/20/15
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Unless you've been designated as permanently disabled with no review date, they've been doing these for years.  Many people have a two year review date and then they may have to go through the review process, which is just about the same as the initial ODSP application.  I did once, and then got my permanent designation after the review.  The article actually isn't anything scary.  They're looking into trying to streamline the process a bit, and holding off on increasing the number of reviews at this time.  Basically, business as usual for now.  Once they've tweaked the process, then they may well increase the number of reviews.  Right now, a lot of people are given review dates, but then never reviewed.

abrowne

May 20, 2015, 2:45:35 PM5/20/15
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
I do have a few medical review denials coming through my office.  My tradition is that I
ask for interim relief because it might be several months before an appeal is heard.
One of these people had a heart attack and another went to emergency after finding
themselves in a crisis as a result, a panic.

I do believe they will probably for now on go through this more carefully in the future,
and we will be on their backs to make sure that this doesn't present new barriers.

Angela

Liam T.

May 20, 2015, 2:45:55 PM5/20/15
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Ok Thanks GL, I never was asked to do a review after the initial 1 page green medical form years ago. But nothing would surprise me.

Goldielover

May 21, 2015, 12:38:00 PM5/21/15
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
You may already be considered permanently disabled.  Many who have been on ODSP for a very long time already are.  Most of us who got on more recently were given two year review dates, with the review forms that need to be filled out being virtually identical to the initial application.  Waste of time, really.  In my opinion, the review forms should be just a quick form to be filled out by the doctor outlining the current medical condition, not a complete application.

silken...@gmail.com

May 22, 2015, 12:10:52 PM5/22/15
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com

I'm just wondering... I was granted ODSP about 3 years ago with a 2 year review date listed (which confused me because my condition has been with me for 20+ years when I applied and it's not likely it will change that much.)  But I have yet to be given a review (and quite dread going through the paperwork stress.)  How many people on the list here were also told they'd be reviewed in 2 years when granted ODSP and how long ago was your review date supposed to be?  (I should've been reviewed last summer basically if they were doing it in 2 years.)

May 22, 2015, 10:21:44 PM5/22/15
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
I was given a two year review date, and was sent the package for a review approximately four months after the review date had passed.  After the review, I was advised I was now considered to be permanently disabled, with no further reviews scheduled.  That was last year.  I think they give most new clients a two year review these days

I made sure I kept copies of all my original application documents, including the self report.  When it came time to do the self report for the review, I made sure that I emphasized the deterioration in my mobility since the initial application, and how it had impacted on my every day life.

I am currently financially disqualified, and likely to remain so until age 65.  However, the fact that I am now considered to be permanently disabled with no further medical reviews scheduled means that I am now eligible for rapid reinstatement should I need to return.  That means I only need to qualify financially if I returned, not medically.

Atb

Aug 18, 2015, 10:57:17 PM8/18/15
to ODSP Fireside
Actually I am now permanent but when I 1st joined/was approved; I got a note saying either a 2, 3 or 5 year future review date (don't remember right now). Anyways eventually I forgot all about it & then 1 day 2, 3 or 5 years later a letter came saying they had reviewed my case & I was now deemed permanent & had no further reviews! They never even warned me or asked me for anything. They reread my original claim & asked my doc if anything changed, then deemed me permanent!

 Keep in mind the doc is obligated to report if things improve (yeah right!?!) So the reviews are pointless & just an excorcise in futility &  politics! If you can't trust the doc to report changes, then you can't trust their review assessment!

just a waste of money!

Adam