Special Diet Allowance

Earth Citizen

Feb 13, 2023, 10:26:22 AM2/13/23
to ODSP Fireside
Is it just me, or have other peeps in here been receiving notifications that their Special Diet Allowance needs to be updated? Also of note, it appears you have to print up the form yourself, then either mail out, or scan and send back through the "My Benefits" website, once a health professional has filled it out.
I'm wondering if this is another Ford gov't initiative to try and claw back some funds?

Juliette H.

Feb 13, 2023, 11:21:02 AM2/13/23
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
yes. I have until March to update it or I have to tell my worker for an extension...so maybe it is a way to claw back something...mmm...

Sent from Outlook

Is it just me, or have other peeps in here been receiving notifications that their Special Diet Allowance needs to be updated? Also of note, it appears you have to print up the form yourself, then either mail out, or scan and send back through the "My Benefits" website, once a health professional has filled it out.
I'm wondering if this is another Ford gov't initiative to try and claw back some funds?

Rob S

Feb 14, 2023, 12:17:59 AM2/14/23
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
unless things have changed
1 it has to be updated yearly, i always had to do it
2 in my experience it ALWAYS has to be original from the worker and original has to be returned to worker

4inn

Feb 17, 2023, 8:46:01 PM2/17/23
to ODSP Fireside
ok I never had to update mine, though it's always been only $32 a month or something

Lynn Wright

Mar 13, 2023, 12:46:10 PM3/13/23
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Does anyone have a Henson Trust?
I need information on how the funds are disbursed from the Rteuatee? Is the money taxable?
Thank you

Bill Taylor

Mar 13, 2023, 2:06:39 PM3/13/23
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lynn,

I have a Hanson Trust that contains my inheritance.

ODSP allows for funds to be distributed, in my case monthly, up to a maximum of $10,000 annually.  [It’s what they call a gift amount.]

In my case, the funds I get monthly are automatically deposited into my bank account, at about the same time we get our monthly ODSP funds.

My elder sister is the trustee of my Henson Trust.  I believe taxes are paid from or at, the source, the trust itself.

 I’m stating all this from memory, but believe it’s accurate.

I’m in the process of having my trust transferred to the: Office of the public guardian and trusts, because my very sister is far too difficult to deal with. [she’s been diagnosed as being a covert narcissist].

It seems legal aid doesn’t offer services in this legal area, that I believe is called estate law, or wills and trusts.  So, I believe this area of the law requires a private lawyer.

Anyone know anything further about this legal area?  If so,I’d love your insights that my help my own concerns.

Be well, all!  If nothing, keep doing your best.

Bill

Sent from Bill Taylor’s iPad

On Mar 13, 2023, at 12:46 PM, 'Lynn Wright' via ODSP Fireside <odspfi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 Hi

L B

Mar 13, 2023, 2:23:58 PM3/13/23
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I too, have a Henson Trust. I get a deposit of $600/mth within the guidelines of ODSP. If I need extra money to pay for a disability related expense, I ask the trustees to dispense it directly to the medical supplier.

I’m not sure if these resources help but I’ll share them just in case:

Louise

Lynn Wright

Mar 23, 2023, 3:00:13 PM3/23/23
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill
Thank you for your response.
I am in the process of changing the Trustee as well. He has not paid all of my bills, owes me money for my expenses and keeps cancelling our meetings. He does not send me reports on the account.
I found that no one wants take this on, few people understand Estate Law/Henson Trusts.
I will keep you informed on this, I am consulting with a lawyer.

My questions are:

Do you receive a T3 each year?

Is the amount added to your income on your income tax form?

Is it considered income for a RGI calculation?

Thank you,
Lynn

L B

Mar 23, 2023, 3:21:36 PM3/23/23
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I get a T3 and it’s recorded on my income tax form?

Once I had problems. I had an ODSP worker who didn’t understand the trust and tried to ding me for it. I had to get the lawyer to call her and explain. After that I was okay.

My rent has never been affected and they know about the trust. As far as I can tell, if ODSP allows it, housing will allow it.

LB