Do you recall.....

Heather M.c.

Apr 30, 2021, 6:25:44 AM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Hello all...

Does anyone remember what was written about 'undo harm" , as far as the rights of recipients
on ODSP?

I may not have phrased that correctly.

Take care
Heather

L B

Apr 30, 2021, 7:26:39 AM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Heather, do you mean undue hardship?

Louise

Heather M.c.

Apr 30, 2021, 1:23:12 PM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Louise...
                  Maybe that's it.

I'm an oldie when it comes to being on ODSP and I seem to remember a booklet I got when I first was approved.

It contained the recipient's rights/responsibilities and the caseworkers rights/ responsibilities.

And I thought, on the caseworkers side, they were to do no undue harm (or hardship?)

My caseworker has taken back $700 off my cheq, which has caused me to not be able to afford my food for the month , nor afford the dressings I need for my leg ulcers.

We had a convo last Jan. Things she gave her word for, completely changed when I spoke to her yesterday.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Heather

L B

Apr 30, 2021, 1:44:33 PM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Did she take the full $700 all at once? If she did, then that is a problem. See: https://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/documents/en/mcss/social/directives/odsp/income_Support/11_1.pdf

I’ll find more details shortly and send them to you.

Louise

L B

Apr 30, 2021, 1:46:02 PM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Heather,

Louise

L B

Apr 30, 2021, 1:48:57 PM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
The dressings can be covered under Mandatory Special Necessities. Have you had one of those forms filled out? See: https://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/odsp/income_support/odsp_medical_supplies.aspx

Alternatively, if a nurse is being sent to you by the LHIN’s, they can sometimes supply the dressings.

Louise

Heather M.c.

Apr 30, 2021, 2:55:49 PM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Louise. i didn't know the dressings would be covered.
Heather

Heather M.c.

Apr 30, 2021, 2:57:48 PM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Yes Louise. She took the full amount $700 all at once.
No prior notice , nothing.

I'm grateful for your help.
Heather

L B

Apr 30, 2021, 3:00:59 PM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Heather,

You probably got a letter saying you had an overpayment. Write on it - “I request an internal review” and send it right back to them. Double the message up by phone as well. Tell them you can’t afford to have them take that much away and then tell them to reference Directive 11.1.

Hopefully the worker will apologize and cut you another cheque.

If she doesn’t, ask to speak to the office manager. Failing that you might have to go to the Social Benefits Tribunal, but let’s hope not.

If they fight you contact the Community Legal Aid Clinic in your area. Use this link to find it: https://www.legalaid.on.ca/legal-clinics/

Good luck.

Louise

Heather M.c.

Apr 30, 2021, 3:36:31 PM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Louise

I haven't receive any correspondence of any kind from ODSP.

I can't seem to find anything in writing that would back me up.

It's about removing a dependent adult (my son) from my file. I support him financially 100%.
He is over 18, yet has a pretty serious mental illness.
He's housebound. Can't leave apt without severe anxieties.

He was given said status (because of paperwork we submitted) when my file was at one location. He even had a member ID #.
he had had that status for maybe 3 years now.
And now that my file is at this new location, she removed his status and money.

I appreciate your help.
Heather

L B

Apr 30, 2021, 4:38:11 PM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Heather,

It sounds like a rather complex situation. Your best bet, by the sounds of it, is to contact the legal clinic.

I, too, am on ODSP. I’ve learned where to look for answers, but I’ve not learned how to override the impact of problems of this nature.

It sounds like some important details got lost in the shuffle, but I have no idea how to sort it out.

I hope the legal clinic can help you. Good luck.

Louise

auntie...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2021, 5:42:59 PM4/30/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com

Here – call these folks.  Things suck scissors for you and your son – so call in the big guns.  Here are details on how to get their help via the phone and email during the scamdemic.
Good luck, and I’ve sent up knee-mails for you.

May 3, 2021, 3:01:10 AM5/3/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Heather,

If I’m understanding you situation correctly, I think this paragraph will help you.

Election of Financially Independent Adult to be Treated as Dependent Adult

A person who is determined to be financially independent “permanently” or in any month can elect to have his/her budgetary requirements determined as a financially independent adult under Ontario Works, in their own right, or remain a dependent adult included in his/her parent’s ODSP benefit unit.

Financially independent adults who elect to be treated as dependent adults are included in the benefit unit of his/her parent. In these cases, the dependent adult is included when determining financial eligibility for the parent’s benefit unit. This means that the parent’s budgetary requirements are calculated including the dependent adult and the dependent adult’s income and assets are included when calculating income support for the benefit unit.

There are other details in this directive that might help you more clearly understand what happened. I hope it helps.

Louise

Scott Young

May 3, 2021, 3:07:40 AM5/3/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
I've been through the internal review process and the Social Benefits Tribunal in this town, I used legal aid sometimes and sometimes not. If I can help let me know, I will never give advice on law but I can tell you what I've experienced or like Louise did, look for directives. 👍👊
This is exactly how this site used to be.🙂

May 3, 2021, 5:33:25 AM5/3/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
OMgosh Louise

Thanks so much for all that work it must have taken for you to find this.

It explains allot.
I am grateful for your help.
Heather

L B

May 3, 2021, 8:07:49 AM5/3/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
No problem.

Everyone….  This link will take you to the index for all directives for social assistance - ODSP, OW, and  Employment Supports for both of them: https://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/directives/index.aspx

I recommend you save it. It’s invaluable for troubleshooting the problems we often run into.

Louise

Scott Young

May 3, 2021, 12:42:02 PM5/3/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Download the Ontario Drug Formulary too guys, it's a list of what medications the province covers.
Mostly generics of course, but you can find out, not every doctor knows this stuff. Trust me.🙂
May 3, 2021, 2:25:56 PM5/3/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Does your son get his own Ontario works or ODSP?  If so, then he would have to pay you, and if not it would be included on your odsp for the month. If he gets his own the amount for him as a dependent of yours is taken away on your monthly payment.

Call your worker and find out?  If it is an error they can correct it asap or advised you of any documentation you must complete again as some things have to be reapplied for yearly.

Thank  you,

Karen S

May 3, 2021, 4:24:54 PM5/3/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
If he is on ODSP he should qualify for board and lodge, he doesn't have to pay rent. Let me know if you need help finding the directive.
May 3, 2021, 4:51:16 PM5/3/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
I continue to practice.  I have a legal office downtown St. Catharines.  Have we ever met, Scott?

Angela

Scott Young

May 3, 2021, 5:02:53 PM5/3/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com

No lol, we may  have seen each other on the street and never known. I was in Niagara Falls at that time.

May 31, 2021, 6:34:28 PM5/31/21
to odspfi...@googlegroups.com
Heather,

It’s what I love to do… share valid information to help others. The system sucks. The least I can do is share useful knowledge to help another person.

I used to be part of an activist group for people on ODSP, but I got squeezed out. Even still, I learned a lot, so I’ll share the information.

These problems are systemic. We can’t fix them on our own. We can, however, help each other. That’s why I do what I do.

Some people don’t like me For my outspokenness, but who cares. I’m not going to leave people in the lurch.

Take care.

Louise

Scott Young

May 31, 2021, 6:41:59 PM5/31/21