Saw a post from 2009 about dental, but nothing more recent, and could use some answers.

Christy Parks

Jul 24, 2024, 6:22:16 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to ODSP Fireside
So due to mental health/memory issues, sudden change in weather, and no funds to get there (he would be walking, and with the storm we are having off and on, does NOT want to get halfway there and end up soaked) a friend of mine forgot about his dental cleaning, and they called him.

Since he forgot to cancel 24 hours in advance, they now expect him to come up with $50 neither of us have and will NEVER have as being on ODSPoverty, both of us are broke the same day we get the funds. Is there a way to get around this being on disability? Or is my friend screwed and stuck being either $50 short on rent, or $50 short on bills for the month because of his memory issues getting the better of him, as well as not wanting to risk his physical health over walking as it suddenly starts pouring or hailing out on his way to his appointment on foot?

Even that increase at the end of the month won't cover it, unless I gave him the rest to cover it, leaving myself short. We both only got a $34 increase each. Not enough for anything, as even my phone bill is $35.

Anyone else here think it's not right to penalize others for memory issues by charging them fees they don't have being on a fixed income? Someone else on Reddit mentioned they were penalized $150 for missing a psychiatrist appointment due to a severe snowstorm that was NOT called for the day before, but simply and suddenly happened the next morning when they woke up, so there was no way they were able to give 24 hours notice because of a sudden weather change! They too were on ODSP. They too had only one option to get there and back: walking.

Today the sudden thunderstorm warning caused it to be VERY humid outside, and my friend (on top of having FASD), gets bad heat stroke if he gets too warm, especially when walking anywhere. So he did not want to risk that PLUS suddenly getting soaked or pelted with dime sized hail while on the way there. The weather was too unpredictable today. Just like the weather was unpredictable to someone else disabled on ODSP with a mental health appointment. Neither of us should be forced to pay money we won't and don't have being on a limited and fixed income. No one on ODSP should have to pay rescheduling/cancellation fees!!