Future of ods

Surfzoid

Apr 16, 2009, 8:54:10 AM4/16/09
to obex-data-server developers
Hi
I would be very happy to use ods, but i m very confuse about obexd who
provide same function but in a more complicated way.

ods work with bluez/obexd team ?

Tadas Dailyda

Apr 16, 2009, 11:07:53 AM4/16/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It's up to you to decide which one to use. ods was created and is maintained by myself while obexd was created mostly by bluez devs to duplicate ods functionality (they insist that ods is "bloated" because it uses dbus-glib). obexd additionally supports pbap and sync services. If you use those, you should try obexd, although this stuff might be introduced in ods some time later as well. Also keep in mind that majority of desktop software already uses ods (blueman, gnome-user-share etc.) and obexd cannot be run when ods is running (both use 'org.openobex' dbus path)!

Cheers,
Tadas Dailyda

Petit Eric

Apr 16, 2009, 11:44:09 AM4/16/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
2009/4/16 Tadas Dailyda <tadas....@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> It's up to you to decide which one to use. ods was created and is maintained
> by myself while obexd was created mostly by bluez devs to duplicate ods
> functionality (they insist that ods is "bloated" because it uses dbus-glib).
> obexd additionally supports pbap and sync services. If you use those, you
> should try obexd, although this stuff might be introduced in ods some time
> later as well. Also keep in mind that majority of desktop software already
> uses ods (blueman, gnome-user-share etc.) and obexd cannot be run when ods

I don't know for kdebluetooth, but for all gnome Bluetooth it is
Marcel holtmann the Author and he use ods, but since his also the
author of obexd and Nokia seem to have working on it....

> is running (both use 'org.openobex' dbus path)!

yes that exactly why i ask questions and be confuse :-)
Thousand thank's to clarify a little.

I'm already in a dammed choice like "to or not to be" lol

I sincerly prefer use ods, it is less complicated and i think it will
working nice when you will fix the last entry bug :
http://bugs.muiline.com/view.php?id=161 (I have the same one through C#) ;
but be afraid if obexd will replace ods on most linux system, i
already see through google many discussion about obexd vs ods

--

Cordially.

Small Eric Quotations of the days:
professional, say you that:

Few people are done for independence, it is the privilege of the powerful ones.

Tadas Dailyda

Apr 16, 2009, 12:00:20 PM4/16/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
AFAIK kdebluetooth also uses ods. Marcel is not doing any GNOME related work anymore. Both gnome-bluetooth, gnome-user-share and gvfs-obex are maintained by Bastien Nocera. Actually I am not aware of any desktop software which uses obexd.

It would be nice if you could give me more info about bug #161 (post any debug info to bugtracker), I'll look into it when I have more time. And could you point me links to the actual discussions about replacing ods with obexd (I haven't seen any myself).

Petit Eric

Apr 16, 2009, 12:08:38 PM4/16/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
2009/4/16 Tadas Dailyda <tadas....@gmail.com>:
> AFAIK kdebluetooth also uses ods. Marcel is not doing any GNOME related work
> anymore. Both gnome-bluetooth, gnome-user-share and gvfs-obex are maintained
Yes that what i was tryied to say lol, but also under gnome when i
made a right click on the BT applet and choice about i see "copyright
Marcel Holtmann" (I'm running Mandriva 2009.1).
> by Bastien Nocera. Actually I am not aware of any desktop software which
> uses obexd.
>
> It would be nice if you could give me more info about bug #161 (post any
> debug info to bugtracker), I'll look into it when I have more time. And
I will try to do it tonight, but keep in mind, i 'm a C# coder and use
Ndesk-Dbus to play with ods.
> could you point me links to the actual discussions about replacing ods with
not replacing but ask question.
> obexd (I haven't seen any myself).
Most are on IRC, but also ggogle :
http://www.google.fr/search?q=obex-data-server+vs+obexd&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.mandriva:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
Give few way ...
Bt is really confusing evrywhere

Petit Eric

Apr 16, 2009, 1:25:25 PM4/16/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
tadas : are you at #ods channel ?

Petit Eric

Apr 16, 2009, 3:53:14 PM4/16/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
Mantis Bug Tracker seem suck with me, so here it is the infos :

From Monodevelop i have this short stackstrace, but can provide a more
complete one :
The session : /org/openobex/session0, get the stackstrace :
org.openobex.Error.ConnectionRefused, with error : Connection refused
HandleSessionClosed

From ods no-daemon i get :

[eric@SurfzoidPC obex-data-server-0.4.4]$ obex-data-server --no-daemon
** Message: obex-data-server 0.4.4
** Message: Using Session bus
** Message: Parsed[0]: ftp
** Message: FTP uuid selected, first checking for Nokia OBEX PC Suite
Services uuid
** Message: Connected SDP session
** Message: SDP search process
** Message: SDP search completed
** Message: no SDP records found
** Message: Using standard OBEX FTP uuid
** Message: SDP search process
** Message: SDP search completed
** Message: getting RFCOMM channel
** Message: Connect in progress
** Message: Failed to connect
** Message: session closed
** Message: Removing listened DBUS name :1.115 (object: /org/openobex/session0)
** Message: Removed from listened DBUS names list

I attached my sample, runit with Mono + Ndesk-dbus

I noticed, with KDE3 + V3 of ods i haven't got this error

2009/4/16 Petit Eric <surf...@gmail.com>:
Org.OpenObex.tar.gz

Petit Eric

Apr 16, 2009, 5:34:20 PM4/16/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
same problem with the test :
[eric@SurfzoidPC test]$ ./ods-dbus-test 00:16:20:C9:B4:B1 ftp ./ods-dbus-test.0
** Message: CreateBluetoothSession ("00:16:20:C9:B4:B1",
"00:00:00:00:00:00", "ftp")
** Message: Object path: /org/openobex/session4
** Message: Session connect error:
org.openobex.Error.ConnectionRefused: Connection refused
** Message: Session removed: /org/openobex/session4
[eric@SurfzoidPC test]$

Also same problem with Blueman

Petit Eric

Apr 16, 2009, 6:53:49 PM4/16/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
great , i'm not alone :

Petit Eric

Apr 17, 2009, 10:36:49 AM4/17/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
i test the last ods, the version from "getserverversion" is 0.4.4:1,
but the function retrievelistfolder return a string !!, this not
suposed to be a dictionary ?
Also when i look in the src dir at xml file, i see retrievelistfolder
return a string, Tadas can you say me if the xml files where not
rollback in your sources ?

Petit Eric

Apr 17, 2009, 10:41:17 AM4/17/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
arg : http://svn.muiline.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/obex-data-server/trunk/src/ods-session.xml?view=diff&r1=2494&r2=772&diff_format=h

the function "RetrieveFolderListing" who return a dictionary is the
last or oldest method, the api doc :
http://svn.muiline.com/obex-data-server/tags/REL-0_4_4/dbus-api.txt?view=co
say dictionarry, i'm loosed !

Tadas Dailyda

Apr 17, 2009, 10:45:23 AM4/17/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, documentation is confusing, I'll fix it. GetFolderListing returns XML formatted string. It is not parsed (would require more dependencies for ods), you have to do it yourself (see OBEX specification for format).

Surfzoid

Apr 18, 2009, 7:31:10 AM4/18/09

On Apr 17, 4:45 pm, Tadas Dailyda <tadas.dail...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, documentation is confusing, I'll fix it. GetFolderListing returns XML
> formatted string. It is not parsed (would require more dependencies for
> ods), you have to do it yourself (see OBEX specification for format).
If you want i do it in C# when i writted Cs-ObexFtp :
http://cs-obexftp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cs-obexftp/trunk/Cs-ObexFtp/
It is not really impotant, but will be a great feature to return a
dictionary of files/directory infos with the parse of the XML.

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Petit Eric <surfz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > arg :
> >http://svn.muiline.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/obex-data-server/trunk/src/...
>
> > the function "RetrieveFolderListing" who return a dictionary is the
> > last or oldest method, the api doc :
> >http://svn.muiline.com/obex-data-server/tags/REL-0_4_4/dbus-api.txt?v...
> > say dictionarry, i'm loosed !
>
> > 2009/4/17 Petit Eric <surfz...@gmail.com>:
> > > i test the last ods, the version from "getserverversion" is 0.4.4:1,
> > > but the function retrievelistfolder return a string !!, this not
> > > suposed to be a dictionary ?
> > > Also when i look in the src dir at xml file, i see retrievelistfolder
> > > return a string, Tadas can you say me if the xml files where not
> > > rollback in your sources ?

> > ./ods-dbus-test.0

> > related work
> > maintained
> > "copyright
> > which

> > (post any
> > And
> > use
> > ods with
>
> >http://www.google.fr/search?q=obex-data-server+vs+obexd&ie=utf-8&oe=u...

> > through C#) ;

> read more »

Tadas Dailyda

Apr 18, 2009, 9:07:24 AM4/18/09
to ods-...@googlegroups.com
No way. API has to be flexible. It is not possible to parse folder listing to dictionary, because there is information like modification dates etc. in listing. And ods would have to depend on libxml to parse it which is also not an option.