teleporting jointed bodies

codi...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2021, 5:45:49 PM3/8/21
to ode-users
yes I do know I'm not supposed to be teleporting stuff ! ;)

but when my vehicle is righted after rolling over I teleport the car body slightly
higher and rotate it back the right way.

Now because I wanted to get on with something else, I simply attached the main
vehicle body to a fixed joint attached to the "static world" ( 0 ) and I leave the body
dangling for a handful of frames till the wheel sort themselves out
(wonder that it works at all, but it does, you see the wheels wildly whipping about
but as the main body is static they soon sort themselves out)

What I really should be doing is transforming the wheel positions and rotations,
in line with the main bodies new position and rotation.

Before I do it the hard way and work out the order of a bunch of matrix multiplications
for this, I wondered if there was some short cut, something in ODE that would make
this easier!

Oh and if anyone reading this has committed PR's to ODE I'd just like to say a big
thank you, I really enjoy coding with ODE mainly using C and it just breaths life
in to my various experiments. Again thank you, and well done its amazing work!

codi...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2021, 9:00:10 PM3/8/21
to ode-users
Its just occurred to me can I not just use point in body on the main
vehicle body with the original offsets for the wheels?

Funny the things that pop into your mind as you're falling asleep!

codi...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2021, 4:40:44 AM3/11/21
to ode-users
Just for anyone with a similar issue who finds the original post, I finally got round to trying my idea, and it makes a massive
different, no need for dodgy fixed joint work around, no exploding wheels dragging the main body around, great!