Simulating stepper motors?

Dan Royer (Marginally Clever Robots)

May 14, 2024, 4:01:04 PMMay 14
to ode-users
I believe it would be straightforward to simulate a DC electric motor - roughly... apply current, get torque.  But what about stepper motors?  They have a holding torque and a fixed number of steps and a different torque when they are in motion... I can't work it out.  Any advice?

I plan to apply this to my robot arm simulations for dynamics.  Since they all use stepper motors I need to simulate them first, then I can make the whole robot work.

Attached is my latest, a quadruped simulated with hinges. I'm playing around with neural networks, trying to teach it to stand up.  https://imgur.com/gallery/quadruped-eBi2Q5j

Samie Bee

May 17, 2024, 4:47:40 PMMay 17
to ode-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

I would approach this problem by looking at some existing simulations that were built outside of this library, such as this one:

or this one:

It may also help to familiarize yourself with the mechanics of stepper motors if you haven't already:

I think the idea is to calculate the magnetic force based on the position of the poles and use that to apply the torque in engine.