OData data source plugin for Grafana

Carsten Röttgers

Feb 25, 2022, 6:58:55 AM2/25/22
to OData Discussion

Hi everybody!

We (a development team from d.velop AG/Germany) are currently developing an OData data source plugin for Grafana (Comparable examples: https://grafana.com/grafana/plugins/?type=datasource).

We are planning to make the plugin open source on GitHub.com and have a few questions beforehand:

  • Is it allowed to use the official OData logo for this? What needs to be considered, if any?
  • What about the term OData? Can we name the plugin 'OData Data Source'?

We do not pursue any profit-making intentions with the plugin. We developed it internally and would like to make it available to the community.

Best regards,

Carsten Röttgers

Message has been deleted

Mike Pizzo

Mar 24, 2022, 10:44:59 AM3/24/22
to OData Discussion
Hi Carsten;

Thanks for reaching out--  I think it's fantastic that you are developing this open source plug-in for Grafana!

You can read the terms for the icon usage here (OData Icon Usage Guidelines · OData - the Best Way to REST) but, in short, as long as you are using it to reference a conforming implementation (which it sounds like you are) then you should be fine.

Similarly, you are welcome to use "OData Data Source" to describe a conforming implementation (you might consider "OData Data Source for Grafana" as the full name, i.e., in the open source project and libraries, to differentiate it from OData-compliant plug-ins for other applications.)

Finally, we would be happy to help evangelize this (and other similar efforts to promote OData), for example, through a blog post on https://www.odata.org.  If this is something that would be of interest to you, please reach out to me at mikep @ microsoft.com

Thanks!

-Mike

Carlos S. Vargas V.

Jul 29, 2022, 12:41:06 PM7/29/22
to OData Discussion
Hi Carsten,
I am a user of Grafana, mainly with SQL datasources and I happened to google for "grafana" "odata" and this is one of the most relevant results.

Was wondering if you guys are still thinking about releasing this plugin?

Cheers!

Carsten Röttgers

Jun 5, 2023, 2:05:41 PM6/5/23
to OData Discussion
Hi everybody!

We have recently released the first version of the OData Grafana Datasource plugin. The sources can be found here: https://github.com/d-velop/grafana-odata-datasource

We published the plugin as a community plugin, which means it is open source and not for profit. Community plugins are published in the official Grafana catalog, and are available to the Grafana community.

Here is the related plugin page on Grafana.com: https://grafana.com/grafana/plugins/dvelop-odata-datasource/

The first version only has a few basic features because we wanted to successfully complete the Grafana review first:

* We only support OData V4
* The plugin uses the $metadata endpoint to determine the available entity sets
* When building queries you can select an entity set, an appropriate time property, and a metric you want to view
* Queries can only be clicked together and not freely defined

We have a lot of other features in the backlog and hope for the support from the community.

Best regards,
Carsten

Sameer Devalekar

Jun 21, 2023, 6:33:04 AM6/21/23
to OData Discussion
We dont have the time property in our Odata source. Is it not possible to use this Plugin?
Is there any variant available that doesn't need time

Carsten Röttgers

Jun 21, 2023, 10:30:34 AM6/21/23
to OData Discussion
Hi Sameer,

the main use case that the data source plugin is currently implementing is displaying time series data. Which use case do you want to implement with the data source plugin?

Best regards,
Carsten

Rene van der Peijl

Aug 7, 2023, 8:10:23 AM8/7/23
to OData Discussion
I am running into the same issue as Sameer. I have OData without time property. Is it possible to use this datasource without time property?

Carsten Röttgers

Aug 18, 2023, 1:03:10 PM8/18/23
to OData Discussion
Hi,

we will make the time property optional. Subscribe to update notifications here: https://github.com/d-velop/grafana-odata-datasource/issues/2

Nevertheless, we would like to understand more about your use cases. What do they look like?

Best regards
Carsten