Fwd: Redistricting Hearing TONIGHT, 6 pm - Tues., Sept. 14 for Merrimack County

Brian Beihl, Deputy Director

Sep 14, 2021, 1:01:22 PM9/14/21
to ODA Monadnock Regional Democracy Team, Oda-central-nh Team, ODA Seacoast Regional Democracy Team, ODA Upper Valley Regional Democracy Team, ODA North Country Regional Democracy Team, ODA Southern NH Regional Democracy Team, NH Redistricting Warrant Article/Resolution Group, Map-a-Thon-Mappers
Good Afternoon:

Here are the details for tonight's Merrimack County "listening session."   We're doing our best to turn out folks for this, but holding signs outside (any county), observing inside (any county), and testifying (Merrimack only).    Big news is that the Special Committee/Speaker of the House blinked on the YouTube live, and they are making it available.    ODA is doing a Zoom link, this time with a conferencing microphone so we can hopefully hear what they say. Links below.
Thanks for any help you can be.

Brian Beihl
Open Democracy

Open Democracy

Urgent Action Request for Tues. Sept. 14 Special Committee on Redistricting Meeting's Merrimack County Hearing

Brian --

If you can help in any of the ways below, RSVP HERE

Tuesday, Sept. 14, 6 pm, Open Democracy, Kent Street Coalition and other fair maps advocacy groups are meeting to hold signs and attend the 6 pm Special Committee on Redistricting "listening session" for Merrimack County.

Hold Signs Outside, then attend the meeting in person -- We're meeting in the back of the Old Merrimack County Courthouse at 5:30 pm (5 pm for Kent Streeters)  getting instructions and signs, then dispersing to our sign holding locations in the front and back of the courthouse.

We have some signs, but if you'd like to make your own, we're emphasizing transparency of software, criteria and maps, the lack of public input, and the lack of a schedule for meetings and public hearings:  SHOW US THE CRITERIA;  LET THE PUBLIC SPEAK;   DON'T KEEP US IN THE DARK;  FAIR MAPS NEED TRANSPARENCY;  WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?  WHEN ARE THE HEARINGS?   NH VOTERS DESERVE DETAILS   NH VOTERS DEMAND FAIR MAPS    74 TOWNS VOTED FOR FAIR MAPS

Just before the meeting starts, if you are comfortable and wearing a mask, we would also like you inside to pack the room, if you're able to do so.   We're asking everyone to stay masked.

Hold signs outside, but not go in  -- If you'd prefer not to be inside, we'll be stationing sign holders for as long as you'd like to stay and until it gets dark.

Watch via YouTube Live or Zoom -- The Special Committee and Speaker Sherman Packard have refused to allow committee-run Zoom access for either legislator participation, but as of this morning, we've received word that, due to your pressure, there WILL be a YouTube Live broadcast by the committee.   Here's the link:

YouTube Live (state's) https://youtu.be/EFsjhEMSm6k

Due to the committee's sound issues the last time, Open Democracy will also be broadcasting via Zoom.  We've acquired a new conferencing microphone that picks up sound from a distance, and will see if this helps with hearing, even committee doesn't use their mics. Please remain muted throughout and use the chat to communicate.

Zoom (Open Democracy's) https://us06web.zoom.us/j/83913191969?pwd=OENXRGo0alVSaUdFQWZlcktkWFVBZz09

Join by phone:  929 205 6099 US (New York) Meeting ID: 839 1319 1969 Passcode: 193144

By TODAY AT 4 PM Submit Written Testimony to Us to Deliver to the Committee

Please write a one-page statement to the committee to tell them how you feel about the process last time, and that you want it to be a FAIR, NONPARTISAN & TRANSPARENT process this time.   Please send it to Doreen to print copies for each member of the committee and for the press, and we will deliver 15 copies to the committee on Tuesday night.

  • Transparency is the foundation of our government, and truly fair maps can't be drawn with out it
  • 74 NH Cities and towns have passed the NH Resolution for Fair Nonpartisan Redistricting
  • Meetings need to be posted in advance, particularly the public hearings in NH Counties
  • This meeting, as well as the county hearings, should be on Zoom, to allow more public input into the process
  • Maps need to be posted for weeks ahead of time to allow for analysis and public input
  • A second hearing should be scheduled to review the Special Committee's maps

Here is some sample testimony for inspiration. Please submit your own writing and don't copy and paste the sample.

THANK YOU for helping with the fight for fair voting districts!

Brian

Brian Beihl, Deputy Director

603-620-8300

FairVotin...@OpenDemocracyNH.com
http://www.opendemocracynh.org/

Open Democracy Action · 4 Park St, Suite 301, Concord, NH 03301, United States
This email was sent to br...@beihl.org. To stop receiving emails, click here.

Created with NationBuilder, software for leaders.

--
   Coalition for Open Democracy, 4 Park Street, Suite 301, Concord, NH 03301
    Brian's cell phone, 603-620-8300    Office phone, 603-715-8197