Exercise and COVID-19 Can Be a Dangerous Combination, Evidence Shows

Chuck Bramwell

Aug 25, 2020, 12:24:22 AM8/25/20
to Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google, Chuck Bramwell

Steve Loughran posted this on the “Friends of OCW” Facebook page at

https://www.facebook.com/groups/253156728156693

I found it to be very interesting …

https://www.bicycling.com/health-nutrition/a33634077/exercise-myocarditis-and-covid-19

“This can happen even if you have no symptoms at all. In a recent study published in JAMA Cardiology, German researchers performed cardiac MRI testing on 100 adults who had recovered from COVID-19. About half of them had mild to moderate symptoms and 18 percent never had any symptoms. Though the testing was performed two to three months after their diagnosis and none of them had experienced heart symptoms related to the new coronavirus, 78 of them had structural changes to their hearts, and 60 had myocarditis.

Ironically, athletes might be at particular risk for this complication because intense activity during active infection—even if you’re showing no symptoms—may cause the virus to replicate at a faster rate, Makadia says.

“During training, you increase your cardiac output. If you’re infected, this could in theory increase the viral replication in the heart muscle. If that happens the higher viral load may increase your risk of cardiac harm in the form of myocarditis, arrhythmias, and heart failure,” he says.

Just something to think about.

I sure miss riding with the Saturday Century group and look forward to the day when we can all ride together flying down the roads like we did before this pandemic.

May you stay safe and stay healthy,

Chuck

JOHN RENOWDEN

Aug 25, 2020, 2:28:51 AM8/25/20
to cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google
Indeed, this happened to one of my riding buddies in Florida who started riding too soon after having the flu. He had to give up riding.