Marty Breen's 16 Pass OC Death Ride Century 3/26/22 with new RWGPS

Chuck Bramwell

Mar 21, 2022, 9:25:14 AM3/21/22
to Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google, Chuck Bramwell

Marty Breen’s 16 Pass O.C. Century

Saturday, March 26, 7:30 A.M.

105 Miles with 8,000 Feet of Climbing

Rain Cancels

What would Springtime be without Marty Breen’s 16 Pass OC Death Ride?  It’s so much like the Spring Classics in Belgium.  Like the brutally steep Koppenberg with 22% gradients featured in the Tour de Flanders at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koppenberg  It’s a love / hate thing that will make us stronger for the upcoming tough rides like the Mulholland Challenge / Double Century, Belgium Waffle Ride, Central Coast Double, or Heartbreak Century / Double Century.

Are you strong enough to tackle many of the toughest climbs in Orange County?  If so, this ride has your name on it!!

Marty Breen, in his green Ireland jersey, lead us out onto his brutally hard course on a magnificent day on March 5, 2011.

Marty has scouted out and ridden this new brutally hard training ride.  A BIG Thanks to Marty for thinking this all up and hooking it all together.

The Start Line of Marty Breen’s 16 Pass O.C. Century on 4/02/16

Let me know if you are coming by replying to this e-mail. If there isn’t enough interest in this ride, I might cancel it on the list Friday.

The Weather Forecast is looking good at https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCA0517:1:US showing a High of 77 Degrees and 3% Chance of Rain!!

The Route Sheet is at

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/centuries/MartyBreens16PassOCDeathRide.xls

and printed copies will be available at the start of the ride.

Thank you to Larry “The Ride with GPS Guy” Locken who created a RWGPS for this Century at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38752958

This is a great training ride with plenty of steep climbing interspersed with some recovery miles.  Plus, there are plenty of ways to cut this ride short if you need to get home to mow the lawn.

Andrew May reported that on a recent climb up Summit Park in Irvine, the guard at the Association turned him around and would not allow him to enter.  So I rerouted the course to eliminate the Summit Park climb with a 9% Max which was Pass #3 and replaced it with a climb up Spy Glass Hill Road with a 13% Max.  This change takes the mileage from 103 to 105.

This ride is not recommended for first time century riders ... it's got over 8,000 Feet of Climbing including many of the steepest roads in Orange County.  HOWEVER, this ride has at least 16 options allowing everyone to ride and climb as much as they feel up to.  So come on out and join us no matter how much climbing you have in your legs!!

My Strava Report for the “Full Enchilada” from 4/07/12 is at

http://app.strava.com/activities/6385461

This route is just awesome.  TOUGH climbs.  AWESOME downhills.  Lots of options: you could easily skip some of the steeper climbs and continue right on the course catching up with riders ahead of you.  Two great water stops.  No need to drive anywhere: this is right in our backyard!!  We are SO LUCKY to have these great training hills all around us in Orange County.  If we lived in Florida, the most Elevation we could get would be a freeway overpass.

This ride will start at “The Square” (formerly Foodpark) in Irvine at Main and MacArthur (TBM 859-G4/28-C3) at 7:30 A.M. sharp so you should arrive by 7:15 A.M. Main and MacArthur is near the intersection of the San Diego Freeway (405) and the Newport (55) Freeway.  Take the MacArthur Blvd. exit from the San Diego (405) Freeway and turn North ... Main Street is the first street Northeast of the 405 Freeway.  Meet in the Parking Lot behind the Starbucks.

See you then,

Chuck Bramwell

image003.jpg
image004.jpg