Press Advisory: Immigrants Walk for Life against discriminatory healthcare practices

1 view

mario cardenas

Jun 11, 2012, 10:38:20 PM6/11/12
to Jose Herrera, occupy-e...@googlegroups.com, moratorium-on-d...@googlegroups.com, ocupar-el-ba...@googlegroups.com, sh...@occupiedchicagotribune.org, martin...@ctulocal1.com, pilsena...@thepilsenalliance.org, m20...@m20coalition.net, 10de...@googlegroups.com, iyjl...@gmail.com, chicagos...@gmail.com, aesc...@tribune.com, agr...@chicagopublicradio.org, ajoh...@ap.org, bcar...@univision.net, bilingual...@yahoo.com, blanca...@gmail.com, co...@reflejos.com

********Please forward widely to media all contacts******

Press Advisory

For immediate release:

Contacts:

Father Jose Landaverde- 773 512 8015

Catalina Arroyo- 773 709 5152

Immigrants take action against discriminatory healthcare practices in a “Walk for Life”

What: A march to draw attention to UIC Medical Center’s discriminatory policies towards the immigrant community.

Who: Hunger Strikers, Clergy, and community members

When:  Wednesday June 13, 2012 at 10:30 am.

Where: The march will start at Our Lady of Guadalupe Justice Mission at 3442 W. 26th and culminate at Taylor St. and Paulina Ave. in the Medical District.

On Wednesday morning there will be a “Walk for Life” to demand that UIC Medical Center face the community and explain why they refuse to treat undocumented patients.  Since Sunday June 3rd Sonia Lopez, Hilda Burgos, Lorenzo Arroyo, Catalina Arroyo and Fr. Jose Landaverde have been on a hunger strike to save the lives of three victims of cancer and to protests inhumane, discriminatory healthcare practices.  They will be joined by community members and Clergy outraged at the hypocrisy of an institution that is supposedly dedicated to “Changing medicine. For good.”

Father Landaverde explains the drastic measures taken; “This hunger strike as well as the walk for life is gaining a lot of support because of the ethical issues involved.  We will not end the strike until these medical institutions sit down and talk with us.”

One of the Victims, Jorge Mariscal (23) son of Sonia Lopez, has lost a kidney to cancer and needs a transplant to save his life.  Two more victims; brothers Elfego (37) and Lorenzo (36) Arroyo suffer from Amyloidosis a form of cancer and are both in need of a liver transplant.

All three not only suffer from life-threatening illnesses but also suffer from the inhumane exclusion of undocumented immigrants from the organ transplant waiting lists.  Their situation is a reflection of a system that cares more about profit than saving lives.  Most undocumented immigrants are either uninsured or underinsured, a situation that creates a healthcare crisis in our communities.

Hunger striker and aunt of the Arroyo Brothers, Catalina Arroyo seeks support for their cause; “This hunger strike is for everyone in this situation, don’t leave us alone in this fight for life, we are human beings that deserve the respect and dignity to be treated.”

We invite healthcare professionals, religious organizations and concerned community members to join us and demand a change in this inhumane system.

“This desease is destroying us and I’ve reached a desperation point that made me decide to go on a hunger strike. Come and support us, come walk for life.” – Lorenzo Arroyo, hunger striker in need medical treatment.