Vertical partitioning (each table on a separate db) and replication

Brian Morearty

Jun 1, 2017, 12:02:10 AM6/1/17
to Octopus - Database sharding for ActiveRecord
Hi,

I've read the Octopus readme but I'm still trying to figure out: can Octopus be used for vertical partitioning and replication, together? I don't need sharding.

For example:
  • Table A has its own master database "A_master" and several slave databases "A_slave1" and "A_slave2".
  • Tables B, C, and D share a master database "BCD_master" and several slave databases "BCD_slave1" and "BCD_slave2".
  • Table, E, F, and G share a different master database "EFG_master" and several slave databases "EFG_slave1" and "EFG_slave2".
I want all write to be routed automatically to the appropriate master and all reads to the appropriate slave, based on either the yml config file or octopus_establish_connection. I don't want to have to use the "using" syntax everywhere.

Thanks!

Brian Morearty
Airbnb