OctoMap Visulization from a .BAG file(collected from Velodyne) in ROS

Puneet Tiwari

Dec 21, 2017, 8:17:48 AM12/21/17
to OctoMap developers and users discussion
Hello all,

I am trying to visualize and build the map from a .bag file in ROS.
Can anyone advise me what to do and how can I do this???

Puneet Tiwari

Dec 22, 2017, 5:03:20 AM12/22/17
to OctoMap developers and users discussion

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 6:47:48 PM UTC+5:30, Puneet Tiwari wrote:
Hello,

I have succeeded to convert point cloud to octomap. Now the data is coming on topic /octomap_full i.e. node /octomap_server is working fine.
Now my question is :

From this node, How can I visualize it in Rviz ??

ar...@hornung.io

Dec 22, 2017, 1:35:12 PM12/22/17
to oct...@googlegroups.com

> Now my question is :
>
> From this node, How can I visualize it in Rviz ??

Simply use octomap_rviz_plugins, the plugin runs directly in RViz
(requires a correct TF tree for your sensor data).

Best,
Armin
Message has been deleted

Puneet Tiwari

Dec 26, 2017, 11:34:52 AM12/26/17
to OctoMap developers and users discussion
Thanks a lot Armin,

Now I am well able to visualize the topic in rviz but still I am not very clear in developing a map (.ot) out of it.
After the bag file finished, I tried "octomap_saver -f mapfile.ot" in command prompt but it gave me an error of "command not found" .

To completely build a 3D MAP of the environment (.ot) map file, What procedure I have to follow ???

Thanks,
Puneet

Puneet Tiwari

Dec 27, 2017, 12:59:47 AM12/27/17
to OctoMap developers and users discussion
Hello,

I have successfully created a map_file.ot using command "rosrun octomap_server octomap_saver -f mapfile.ot", however now the problem is I would like to see this file on rviz. Any suggestions that how I can visulize this file ???

Thanks
puneet

Armin Hornung

Jan 8, 2018, 3:54:48 PM1/8/18
to oct...@googlegroups.com
> I have successfully created a map_file.ot using command "rosrun
> octomap_server octomap_saver -f mapfile.ot", however now the problem
> is I would like to see this file on rviz. Any suggestions that how I
> can visulize this file ???

For a quick offline visualization of an .ot file, best use octovis.

If you want to visualize in RViz (online), you need to use
"octomap_rviz_plugins". That requires an octomap_server to be running
(+tf), either dynamically building the map or loading your stored map as
command line argument.

Best,
Armin

Ash

Dec 20, 2018, 12:43:40 PM12/20/18
to OctoMap developers and users discussion
To visualize in Rviz: rosrun octomap_server octomap_server_node filename.bt. Then Add--> markerArray-occupied_cells_array (something). However this may not be considered as a collision object in rviz. I am trying to figure out how an .bt file can be converted to collision object in rviz