Meeting of March 3, 2021--Page # 7 --Agenda Item15 – 56 ZONING ATLAS AMENDMENT (GENERAL USE DISTRICT)

Barbara Lipes, Ph.D.

Mar 3, 2021, 12:30:00 PM3/3/21
to planni...@orangecountync.gov
Hello,

I am writing to oppose the proposed rezoning of a tract of land on NC 86 from Rural Residential (R1) to General Commercial (GC-4).  This tract of land is located across the road from the entrance to our subdivision, Stagecoach Run.  In the 20 plus years I have lived in this location, there has been a steady increase in the traffic on NC 86, making it difficult to safely enter the highway from our entrance.  During this 20 year period, we have endured incremental increases in traffic from each phase of development for Beckett’s Ridge, Hampton Pointe and finally Waterstone.  The prospect of trying to safely turn onto the highway while considering the entrance of cars from across the road in addition to the large volume of traffic already passing in both directions on the highway is daunting.  There was already one fatal accident at the entrance to our subdivision a few years ago.  I am pleading with you to deny this rezoning request to prevent the greater likelihood of another fatality.

I also object to the rezoning since it would destroy a valuable wildlife corridor for animals passing from our wooded subdivision into Duke Forest.  I am also concerned about effects on the watershed since much of this land slopes down into a stream.  I think it would be in the best interest of safety and quality of life to deny any rezoning requests that would result in more traffic and habitat destruction.  Thank you for considering my objections.

Barbara Lipes
2714 Fargo Road
Hillsborough, NC 27278