Written Comment for Zoning Atlas Amendment (Master Plan Development Application – Efland Station)

Science Chris

Nov 4, 2020, 3:09:17 PM11/4/20
to planni...@orangecountync.gov
To the Members of the Planning Board:

The Efland Station development does not represent an equitable use of land and resources in Orange County and especially the Efland community. Development will come to Efland, and residents have held their breath waiting to see what would happen to this 104 acre site. I watched Hillsborough and Mebane grow and expand over the last ten years, and in my five years in Efland I hoped that services and amenities suitable for Efland's rural character would pop up. What we're being offered now serves little use to Efland residents, but Eflanders will bear the cost and negative impacts.
The changes promise to be as a big and unwieldy as a Bucees Travel Center. Efland Station is a Texas business model dropped in North Carolina; no wonder so many so-called improvements are necessary for them to do business here. All of the so-called improvements are only necessary because a business dubbed a "gas station on steroids" by Architects Magazine requires them and not because they solve any problems or concerns for Efland. The traffic impact analysis does not account for the ways locals get around and the many ways that at least 25,000 more trips will burden us. NCDOT generally agrees that a braided Exit 160 is not ideal and generally agrees that a development bringing tens of thousands of trips off the interstate would create a problem.
The environmental concerns only address the build of the pipes and tanks but we face such greater concerns as North Carolina sexperiences more intense and varied climate patterns. Real scientific research demonstrates that the impacts from living near a gas station are negative and underrepresented in environmental regulations. Gasoline does spill from pumps and vehicles if only in drips and dribbles multiplied by 5-20 times because of Bucees size.
Phase 2 of the project promises to bring business and activity that would be amenable to Efland: restaurants, banks, small and large businesses. If Phase 2 mixed use development that would already be allowed under ORM zoning can bring as much tax base as a single Bucees, I would rather see a doubly diverse business community in that 104 acres over one business' 546 parking spots and Bigger Is Better Business model determining the fate and future character of Efland. Allow the O/RM Zoning to stand.

Sincerely,
Chris Smith

Science Chris