Zoning Atlas Amendment (Conventional District)

Ian Ostrowski

Aug 3, 2022, 7:11:43 AM8/3/22
to planni...@orangecountync.gov
I am very opposed to this zoning change -especially because of why the request is being made. Dollar stores wreck havoc on local businesses, and this is not what we need coming to Bingham Township. And this would be built very near Bravos market, the locally owned business that offers a variety of goods including fresh produce at a reasonable prices, and dairy, eggs, and meat from NC farms.

Thank you,
Ian Ostrowski

--
i. Ostrowski

Greg Rapp

Aug 3, 2022, 1:15:08 PM8/3/22
to planni...@orangecountync.gov, rpr...@orangecountync.gov
Dear Planning Board
I am writing to express my profound DISAPPROVAL of the plans to make changes that would (literally) pave the way for Dollar General to open a location in White Cross.

There are several convenience store as well as a fabulous local market called Bravos Market that service this community well.  Bravos in particular should be the poster child for the kind of development we want in the county: Locally owned, community based businesses that cater to the local needs.  These guys are the best thing that's happened on 54 in the last 30 years!

The last thing we need is a dollar general!

#BuyLocal

Greg Rapp
Local Business Owner / Entrepreneur

6819 Morrow Mill Rd
Chapel Hill, NC 27516

Sadie Rapp

Aug 3, 2022, 1:21:23 PM8/3/22
to planni...@orangecountync.gov
I am writing to express my serious disapproval of the proposed rezoning of land in White Cross for the development of a Dollar General, or any such chain. Not only do I feel we have a tremendous need to be preserving agricultural residential land, but Dollar Generals are consistently some of the ugliest and saddest landmarks in rural communities. We already have locally-owned and operated convenience stores, as well as the wonderful Bravos Market, and would not have additional needs met by the introduction of a dollar store. We cannot risk the threat to our small businesses, or to the character of our town.

Please show your support of the local businesses and community, and vote against the rezoning in White Cross. Thank you.

Sadie Rapp

Christine Cabot

Aug 3, 2022, 1:25:24 PM8/3/22
to planni...@orangecountync.gov
I'm writing to beg that you not approve zoning for a Dollar General Store at White Cross. Once you open the flood gates in our rural corridor, the area will be destroyed. Big-box volume pricing will undercut Bravo Market, one of our prized businesses at White Cross. We already have access to Dollar General Stores 5-7 miles away at Swepsonville, Eli Whitney, and Carrboro Plaza. This kind of commercial zoning and its consequences are not needed or wanted by area residents.

Christine Cabot
Morrow Mill Road

Cooper Doos

Aug 3, 2022, 1:29:18 PM8/3/22
to planni...@orangecountync.gov
To the members of the Orange County planning board,

This re-zoning and subsequent construction of yet another Dollar Store CANNOT HAPPEN. These businesses do not support or help small communities. It will only serve as yet another food desert establishment providing little to zero nutritious foods and not enough jobs to justify its existence. This business will only serve to line the pockets of those who are not effected by the building of this business and destruction of our small tight knit community. This may come as a surprise to many board members. But we actually like our area and neighborhood to host local shops and stores so the money spent actually get circulated back into the other business in the area. We also look out for one another which is why I hope that our small but mighty force of neighbors and friends can band together and stand up to the heartless soulless Goliath stores. We all know where the road leads if this store is allowed to be built. Please don’t allow the trend of food deserts in North Carolina continue. Listen to the community members and that they have to say, there is an actual cost for things like this to be passed. It’s not a financial cost, it’s a communal cost, it’s an emotional cost, it’s a spiritual cost. At times when sustainability it the way of the future and so vital. This re-zoning and building is so incredibly short sighted and poorly thought through.

Disheartened, disappointed, but not hopeless,

Copper Doos

Sent from my iPhone

Benny Rapp

Aug 3, 2022, 1:37:02 PM8/3/22
Hello,

I am writing to express my opposition to rezoning land in White Cross for the purpose of bringing in stores like Dollar General.  Such an addition to the community would harm beloved local businesses like Bravos market.  Dollar General is chintzy and not needed in White Cross.

Thanks,
Benny Rapp

Bryna Rapp

Aug 3, 2022, 1:38:45 PM8/3/22
to planni...@orangecountync.gov, rpr...@orangecountync.gov
Dear Planning Board,

I am writing to urge you to reject the rezoning application for a Dollar General in White Cross.

I have been a resident of white cross for 32 yeas and have appreciated Orange county’s approach to commercial development, which has preserved much of the watershed and rural character of this area.  It has made our corner of the county a destination for outdoor enthusiasts, local farmers, local restaurants, beekeepers and craftspeople.  This thoughtful approach has enabled essential businesses, like Bravos market and neighboring convenience stores, to thrive.

We know that a dollar store will be a huge blow to both the character of white cross and these small businesses who currently work hard to meet our needs for fresh produce, local eggs, milk and gas.

There is no justification for such development when there are dollar stores just a few miles up the road in Carrboro Plaza, Swepsonville and Eli Whitney.  The General’s army literally has us surrounded:

Please protect our community and vote no on the rezoning.

Thank you,

Bryna Rapp
6819 Morrow Mill Road

Message has been deleted

deborah pearson-moyers

Aug 3, 2022, 2:21:14 PM8/3/22
to planni...@orangecountync.gov
Dear Planning Board,   Please oppose the change in zoning for the purpose of including a Dollar Tree in our rural White Cross area. I am a neighbor and feel so strongly that a large corporate nationwide business that sells predominantly cheaply and foreign-made goods is one of the last things in this area. We need to maintain the rural buffer and feel that currently exists in the White Cross Area. We have lived in this area for over 27 years and hope that money is not the only factor that rules the planning board. The plan to leave some areas as rural buffers is essential to this area being the place where people want to live, raise their families, and start their own businesses. Many local businesses would be negatively affected by this cheap chain moving in and franchising this area into just another ugly district of North Carolina that couldn't say no to corporate greed.  We can do better!! Stop this zoning change before it goes any further. I appreciate all you can do in this direction.

Sincerely, Deborah Pearson-Moyers and Peter Moyers
Neighbors of White Cross

Sara Gress

Aug 3, 2022, 2:47:22 PM8/3/22
to planni...@orangecountync.gov
Dear Planning Board Members,

I'm writing to express my opposition to the proposed dollar store construction in the area of Hwy 54 West and White Cross Road. I live closeby (off of Carl Durham Road) and I feel that this would be against the values of preserving rural Orange County.

Thank you,

Sara Gress
2430 Daisy Lane
Chapel Hill, NC 27516