Re: Zoning Atlas Amendment (Conventional District) Dollar General zoning application in White Cross

Howard Hoyt

Aug 3, 2022, 3:14:20 PM8/3/22
to rpr...@orangecountync.gov, planni...@orangecountync.gov
Hello,

I live on Shoccoree Ridge Drive close to and served by businesses in the
White Cross area.  I just learned today that Dollar General applied for
a permit to construct one of their chain stores in White Cross.

This store is not needed here and it would do harm to our local business
community that exists in White Cross. Dollar General already has a
nearby store in Eli Whitney.

Dollar General is not needed in White Cross which already has excellent
retail representation.  Right now, we can buy household staples, fresh
local meat, fresh local produce, milk, eggs and a variety of packaged
foods in White Cross. We buy from a local family store that is well
stocked, has reasonable prices and is friendly and welcoming to
customers. They serve the community by buying locally and by placing
special orders for things their customers need. The store has been in
business for years.

Besides the grocery store (Bravos Market), there are the White Cross
Mart/Citgo at 3222 N Hwy 54 and the Aguilar Tire Auto Center/76 at 3233
Rt. 54 that provide ready to eat packaged foods and small general item
stores

Dollar General has a history of displacing, undercutting local
business.https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.cbsnews.com_news_dollar-2Dstores-2Dand-2Dfood-2Ddeserts-2Dthe-2Dlatest-2Dstruggle-2Dbetween-2Dmain-2Dstreet-2Dand-2Dcorporate-2Damerica_&d=DwIDaQ&c=JRU6Crajf79kKcplUJFHFfpcQ9GkS9xWLut8YRTooJY&r=nTyPXfri6VJzeXVx5Z0oePwHOLNfuxyIjIs9sJ6gi3bI_ofKNUoe6WdVNkYBukhY&m=xcXzecnmfl2MMsaPw_t3ZRkM7cFV7ik-M_cJb1dTO0k2TIxscoAqR8ze85GFligi&s=3NwnoimImCfDRFD4-2vFPU6gJ2djI1BbLx_7mmfeuAQ&e=

While such a store may be useful in a food desert, White Cross is not a
food desert. It is a vibrant, local business community that would be
harmed by introducing a chain store.

Thank you,

Howard Hoyt, Elizabeth Hilborn

7730 Shoccoree Ridge Dr, Chapel Hill, NC 27516