StepUp OK's full-court propaganda press

John Michener

Feb 4, 2018, 8:00:14 AM2/4/18
to Oklahoma Conservative Political Action Committee

Online version

1.  OCPAC Feb. 7 at the Capitol

2.  StepUp OK’s Full-court Propaganda Press

3.  Gubernatorial Rally

4.  Christian Identity Conference

5.  Scandal in Oklahoma Bureaucracy

6.  OCPAC Programs

1.  OCPAC Feb. 7:  OCPAC WILL NOT meet at Mama Roja this week.  Instead, we will activate our faith by meeting at the Indian statue on the second floor of the State Capitol on Wednesday February 7 at 8:30 a.m.  We will participate in Rose Day by distributing literature in support of the “Abolition of Abortion in Oklahoma Act.”

Stay for the Oklahomans for Vaccine and Health Choice rally which begins with a group photo at 12:30 p.m. in room 535.  New legislation will be announced at 1:00 p.m., followed by a keynote address from Marcella Piper-Terry, noted researcher and expert on the effects of fetal cells in vaccines.

Most mainstream news outlets spread lies and misinformation about the effectiveness of vaccines, while downplaying evidence and reports that show a direct correlation of certain vaccines to autism and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.  Thanks to the internet, the truth is finally getting out.

While the type, number, and timing of recommended vaccinations in America is exceedingly dangerous, more dangerous still is the current trend of state governments toward mandatory vaccination.  Vaccination must never be mandated by the state in a free society.

2.  Full-court Propaganda Press.  With Governor Fallin’s State of the State speech looming this week, grit your teeth and get ready for the barrage of calls for education spending, nanny-state policing, fascist industry control, and larger-than-life tax increases.  As Dan Fisher said, “Governor Fallin is seeking to trump the President’s tax cuts.”

Part of the propaganda machine is StepUp Oklahoma, a coalition of wealthy businessmen who back big government and have filled the campaign coffers of Mayor Mick Cornett and Lt. Gov. Todd Lamb.  StepUp Oklahoma is nothing more than a tax-hike scheme masquerading as a plan to repair, reform, and restore Oklahoma.  Following is excellent commentary and analysis from former State Senator Randy Brogdon:

The Band is Back Together, by Randy Brogdon.  Yes, the band is back together, and like most Oklahomans, I am not crazy about the song they are singing.  I am talking about the band of billionaires and millionaires who created “StepUp Oklahoma.”  The name alone is highly offensive, suggesting we taxpayers need to StepUp, as if we are not stepping up enough already.  And of course their StepUp plan always plays the same tune:  Money…Money…Money…More Money.

In other words, grab your wallets and purses, because when these limousine liberals get done with you, your wallets and purses are going to be considerably lighter.  Of course, it is all for your own good.

But let’s look a little closer at who the supporters of StepUp Oklahoma are.  StepUp Oklahoma is not filled with average, hardworking taxpayers, like service technicians, bakers, auto mechanics, electricians, and small business owners, you know, average salt-of-the-earth people.  No, these are uber-wealthy men and women, many of whom are politically connected and ready for action.  Right now, in the legislature, plans are being drawn to tap into your personal income.

I faced these people in the past, so I know them and their tactics well.  Back in 2006 I led a statewide initiative called the Taxpayer Bill of Rights (TABOR).  The legislation simply limited how fast government spending could grow based on inflation and population increases.  It was a pretty reasonable proposal that was undermined politically by some of the same people who now support StepUp Oklahoma.  Imagine that!  They oppose limiting government spending and support raising taxes.  Well, at least they are consistent!

Let me give you an example to illustrate who some of these folks are.  Consider current Republican House Majority Leader Jon Echols, the attorney that represented the group that worked to defeat TABOR.  Leader Echols talks about lower taxes and efficient government.  In fact, Leader Echols told me personally during the last Special Session that he was committed to fight back against Fallin’s tax increases.  Let the record show this same Jon Echols ended up voting for all of Fallin’s tax increase proposals.  And now, the second coming of Leader Echols told NewsOK that the StepUp Oklahoma proposals would be at the top of the House agenda in February when session begins.

This has now spilled over into gubernatorial politics as Oklahoma prepares to elect a new governor this year.  As of the fourth quarter of 2017, members of StepUp have donated $49,200 to Todd Lamb’s gubernatorial race.  Todd is quick to point out that he is against any new taxes.  But just this week he said he does support Fallin’s idea of removing the  current tax exemptions on some goods and services, which could add up to over $6 billion in new taxes.  Let us consider Lt. Gov. Lamb’s carefully chosen words.  He is not for any “new” taxes, he forcefully states.  Fair enough.  But when a product or service is exempt from taxation, and the tax exemption is removed, well, as you probably guessed, the tax just increased, and the cost of a product or service will go up.  In other words, you will now pay more for that product or service in the form of a new tax.  It will actually be a new tax, and Lt. Gov. Lamb and Gov. Fallin are hoping to add billions of your dollars to the state bank account.  Do not be fooled by clever and misleading language.  Lt. Gov. Lamb and Gov. Fallin’s proposal is a new tax.

When will these clever politicians learn that we have figured out their game?  One wonders who might have Lt. Gov. Lamb’s ear on this one.  Could it be his Campaign Chairman Larry Nichols (Devon Energy CEO), who, surprise, surprise, is one of the funders of StepUp Oklahoma and a long time financial supporter of Lt. Gov. Lamb?  This is the same duo that kept hundreds of millions of dollars flowing to the oil and gas industry with special tax credits while Lt. Gov. Lamb was in the senate.  I bet Lt. Gov. Lamb will not be too eager to remove those million dollar deals as governor.  Just a guess.

But wait, there’s more!  Mick Cornett has received $32,300 from StepUp members in his race for governor.  Mick said on KFAQ radio that tax increases are on the table for consideration.  At least Mick is frank about raising taxes.  He might as well be because that is what he has bragged about throughout his tenure as Mayor of OKC.  Wonder where he got his tax increase ideas?  Maybe it was his Campaign Treasure, financial supporter, and funder of StepUp Oklahoma, David Rainbolt.

Many of the same people who are blatantly out front trying to raise your taxes are financing Lt. Gov. Lamb’s and Mayor Cornett’s campaigns for governor.  In fact, some are hedging their bets by donating to both campaigns.  Make no mistake, though, their ultimate goal is to raise taxes and eliminate any constraints on spending.  The more tax dollars they get their hands on, the more politicians they can “support.”

Here is what we know for sure from the quarterly financial disclosures from each campaign for governor.  Supporters of StepUp Oklahoma have donated the following amounts to the campaigns:

Todd Lamb:  $49,200

Mick Cornett:  $32,300

Kevin Stitt:  $4,950

Gary Jones:  $2,700

Gary Richardson:  $500

Dan Fisher:  $0.00

I encourage you to look up Leader Jon Echols’s financial disclosure forms.  I think you may be shocked to see how much PAC money he gobbles up including $2,000 from the Devon PAC.  You can find financial disclosure forms for all candidates at guardian.ok.gov.  Just look under “Search,” then “Candidate Committee,” and you will see everything.

Here is the bottom line.  StepUp Oklahoma is a horrible step in the wrong direction.  It is not for the people; it is for the politicians and the rich individuals who fund them.  StepUp is more like a giant Step Back for all Oklahomans.  I hope the legislature comes to its senses and takes the Nancy Reagan approach when it comes to billion dollar tax increases:  “Just Say No.”  But if they do not, it will be up to you to flood the Capitol in protest.  This is a bad and raw deal for Oklahomans.  Make no mistake, this band is playin’ the wrong tune.

3.  Gubernatorial Rally, Feb. 6.  Pastor Scott Lively is running for governor of the Bay State and Pastor Dan Fisher is running for Governor of the Sooner State.  Join them both at a rally celebrating and encouraging a revival of morality in state politics.  Scott Lively does period reenactments of Pastor Jonathan Edwards, the man credited with beginning the First Great Awakening, and Dan Fisher does period reenactments of Pastor Peter Muhlenberg, who was a fearless leader in the American War of Independence.  We have heard rumors that the ghosts of Pastors Edwards and Muhlenberg might attend the rally on Tuesday, February 6 at 6:30 p.m.  The location is Fairview Baptist Church, 1230 N. Sooner Rd. in Edmond.

4.  Christian Identity Conference.  The Josh McDowell Institute for Christian Apologetics at Oklahoma Wesleyan University is hosting two all-day conferences on “Christian Identity.”  How is our identity shaped by sexuality, economics, and religion?

Register for the Bartlesville conference on Friday, February 9.

Register for the Edmond conference on Saturday, February 10.

5.  Scandal in Oklahoma Bureaucracy.  It just keeps getting worse.  It began with $30 million gone missing.  There is evidence that Governor Fallin and her Secretary of Finance, Preston Doerflinger, knew about the missing money in the summer of 2017, but kept it quiet during the governor’s special sessions to raise taxes.  Now, in the midst of a grand jury investigation, one of the whistleblowers appears to have been intimidated and harassed by Doerflinger as part of the cover-up, driving the key whistleblower to resign his post at the Health Department.  We are grateful to members of the House Special Investigative Committee, led by Rep. Josh Cockroft, for continuing to expose the corruption.

6.  OCPAC Programs.

Feb. 14:  Dr. Everett Piper, President of Oklahoma Wesleyan University

Feb. 21:  Joe Shepard on the Klondike Gold Rush

Feb. 28:  Kevin Stitt for governor

The views expressed in this email are the personal opinion of John Michener and do not necessarily reflect the views of OCPAC, its leadership team, or its members…although they should.  Not authorized by any candidate or candidate committee.  Authorized and paid for by Oklahoma Conservative PAC, PO Box 2021, Edmond, OK 73083.