per-project config.ocio

patrick....@halovfx.co.uk

Sep 4, 2017, 11:07:09 AM9/4/17
to OpenColorIO Users
I'm fairly new to working with OCIO and Aces, so please bear that in mind!

I'm trying to implement OCIO in to our Shotgun setup. At the moment we only have one job that is using OCIO Aces, so I've been able to edit the config.ocio file to include the different looks that we required. This has worked fine.

Looking forward, it appears to me that I would need a seperate OCIO config for each OCIO project, along with it, the 1gb folder of relevant Aces version.

Is it possible to have the config.ocio file per-project but referencing a centrally located repo for the main OCIO files?
Or is there another workflow that I should be using? (eg simply adding each project's look to the master ocio.config file?)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Cheers
p.

Subscribe to halo newsletter and stay tuned!

Dithermaster

Sep 4, 2017, 12:54:24 PM9/4/17
to ocio-...@googlegroups.com
It is only by defacto the OCIO references LUTs in the folder below the config. See the "search_path" setting at the top of the config. But even staying within that, you can have multiple .ocio configs in a folder all referencing the same LUTs in a folder below that. In fact, the ACES 0.7 config does just that - it has "config.ocio" for pre-1.0.3 versions of OCIO, and the "config_1_0_3.ocio" config for 1.0.3 and after (which implement tetrahedral 3D interpolation, if I'm not mistaken).

If you really want your configs all over the place but you luts in a central location, perhaps "search_path" can use an absolute rather than relative path (e.g., instead of "luts" use "/volume/path/luts" syntax). Consult a programmer or super user if you are neither.

///d@
Dennis Adams

reform...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2017, 11:07:19 AM9/5/17
to OpenColorIO Users
Thanks Dennis,
Sometimes the most obvious answer, staring me in the face, passes me by! For some reason it didn't occur to me that I could just have seperate config files in the same location...
Thanks!
p.

Abraham Schneider

Sep 8, 2017, 9:52:48 AM9/8/17
to OpenColorIO Users
One other option, if you want to keep it separated per project: the 'baked' folder in the aces_1.0.x folder is there just for convenience or as an example. The files there are not used in the config.ocio file at all. So for your project specifc configs, you could delete this folder and save almost 800MB!

Abraham