spi-vfx Film(sRGB) display transform not working in Nuke

Derek Flood

Jul 12, 2017, 8:58:39 PM7/12/17
to OpenColorIO Users
It appears that the spi-vfx config that ships default with Nuke (v10.5) is not showing the Film(sRGB) display in the view transform (at the top of Nuke's GUI). Instead it shows the the Film (DCIP3) view transform. Has anyone else run into this?

 I did a test comparing an OCIOcolorSpace node set to srgb8 (the color space used by Film(sRGB) with one set to p3dci8 (the color space used by Film(DCIP3) and they both displayed correctly. So the problem appears to be only with the display transform in Nuke.

I can't tell looking at the config what might be causing this, but have experienced the issue on multiple computers.

Sean Cooper

Jul 14, 2017, 11:06:24 AM7/14/17
to ocio-...@googlegroups.com
Are you just talking about the defaults? I believe that unless you are modifying the Nuke view list externally it will pull them in in the order they are listed in the configs.

So for spi-vfx that would be Film (DCIP3), Log (DCIP3), Raw (DCIP3), Film (sRGB)...

So you would be able either modify the make-vfx-ocio.py script to change the order, or just hand modify the yaml file. Either by deleting the DCIP3 display if you don't need it, or swap the order.

Derek Flood

Jul 14, 2017, 11:27:13 AM7/14/17
to OpenColorIO Users

No, I mean the "viewer process" dropdown menu in Nuke (see image). If you select Film (sRGB) from that menu it does not show sRGB and instead shows DCIP3. So the Film (DCIP3) menu shows Film (DCIP3), AND the Film (sRGB) menu shows Film (DCIP3) too.

Film (DCIP3) = Film (DCIP3)
Film (sRGB) = Film (DCIP3)

Sean Cooper

Jul 14, 2017, 12:37:31 PM7/14/17
to ocio-...@googlegroups.com
I'm still not certain what you mean. Your screen shot is showing the Nuke default, so you'd have to go to your project settings to make sure its pulling from the OCIO config, and would look like:

The "Film (DCIP3)" and "Film (sRGB)" views are definitely different. Unless you're saying that the "Film (sRGB)" isn't using the pure sRGB EOTF gamma curve then you'd be correct.

Abraham Schneider

Jul 14, 2017, 12:47:51 PM7/14/17
to OpenColorIO Users
Am Freitag, 14. Juli 2017 17:27:13 UTC+2 schrieb Derek Flood:

No, I mean the "viewer process" dropdown menu in Nuke (see image). If you select Film (sRGB) from that menu it does not show sRGB and instead shows DCIP3. So the Film (DCIP3) menu shows Film (DCIP3), AND the Film (sRGB) menu shows Film (DCIP3) too.

Film (DCIP3) = Film (DCIP3)
Film (sRGB) = Film (DCIP3)

Can't verify that. If I switch between 'Film(DCIP3)' and 'Film(sRGB)' on my Nuke 10.5v2 on Linux, the image in my viewer significantly changes it's look exactly like if I use the two values in an OCIOcolorspace node.

You're sure you're not having caching issues or something like that?

Derek Flood

Jul 14, 2017, 1:51:24 PM7/14/17
to OpenColorIO Users
Thanks for the tip Abraham, yes it was apparently some sort of caching issue. Menus are now working as expected.

I am noticing that the spi-vfx's "Film (sRGB)" which uses srgb8 gives the image a rather noticeable shift towards yellow, as opposed to the VD space. Is there some sort of philosophical reason for doing that? I get that it gives the film that "bleach-bypass" type of look, but I would think that one would want to have the colors not be modified and instead just have a 1D film emulation curve. Am I missing something?

Sean Cooper

Jul 14, 2017, 2:04:47 PM7/14/17
to ocio-...@googlegroups.com
These were published when film deliverables were still the norm, so it is much more of a "proper" film stock emulation rather than just a tone mapping. I would stick with the spi-anim configs if you prefer that look.

Derek Flood

Jul 14, 2017, 2:08:38 PM7/14/17
to OpenColorIO Users
Got it. Thanks for the explanation Sean.