Maketx with OCIO

Derek Flood

Apr 18, 2017, 12:58:39 AM4/18/17
to OpenColorIO Users
"Internally at SPI we use a modified version of OpenImageIO's maketx that also links to OpenColorIO. We intend to make this code available as soon as possible."

Any news on this being made available? I have the compiled maketx that ships with Arnold and OCIO is apparently not working with that flavor of maketx. Anyone know of a compiled (for Windows) maketx.exe that works with OCIO?

Larry Gritz

Apr 18, 2017, 1:54:37 AM4/18/17
to ocio-...@googlegroups.com
Golly, where did you read that?

Those changes were merged into out-of-the-box OIIO 4 or 5 years ago, at least.

Yeah, the CHANGES file of OIIO indicates that it was present in OIIO 1.0, released Feb 2012. Probably was in 'master' earlier than that.

--
Larry Gritz
l...@larrygritz.com

Sean Cooper

Apr 18, 2017, 1:59:32 AM4/18/17
to ocio-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, where is this quote from? It could be made public, but im not certain what details would need to be provided at the moment. Though I do get the sense that a "modern" reference OCIO config is needed, with greater detail in explanation?

On Apr 17, 2017 9:58 PM, "Derek Flood" <dere...@gmail.com> wrote:
"Internally at SPI we use a modified version of OpenImageIO's maketx that also links to OpenColorIO. We intend to make this code available as soon as possible."

Any news on this being made available? I have the compiled maketx that ships with Arnold and OCIO is apparently not working with that flavor of maketx. Anyone know of a compiled (for Windows) maketx.exe that works with OCIO?

Derek Flood

Apr 18, 2017, 10:42:44 AM4/18/17
to OpenColorIO Users
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ocio-users+...@googlegroups.com.

Derek Flood

Apr 18, 2017, 2:32:43 PM4/18/17
to OpenColorIO Users
okay, I think I found a compiled version that should work. The earlier version was OpenImageIO 1.4.14 and said (in the command line help) "Color Management Options (OpenColorIO DISABLED)"

The new one I found is OpenImageIO 1.6.18 and says "Color Management Options (OpenColorIO enabled)" which is promising. However the options are "(choices: raw)"

Is it possible that this is incorrect and there are other choices available? I was expecting things like dt18 and such. Could someone tell me what a proper command line argument would be for the maketx.exe to get it to convert diffuse textures to linear using  OCIO? I know how to do simple sRGB to linear, but am new to OCIO and could use a little help. Thanks!

Larry Gritz

Apr 19, 2017, 6:21:16 PM4/19/17
to ocio-...@googlegroups.com
OK, so two things need to happen just right for OIIO to do OCIO color operations:

* OCIO needs to be present at the time that the OIIO tools are *built* (otherwise you'll see the message about "OpenColorIO DISABLED").

* An OCIO configuration needs to be found at runtime, otherwise it won't know about any color spaces.

You probably need to set the "OCIO" environment variable to point to the config.ocio file.

If you can find a fairly recent OIIO build, then "oiiotool --help" has the nice property of telling you at the bottom all of the known OCIO color spaces and displays. That can really help you take inventory of what's in the config it's finding (if any).

Larry Gritz
l...@larrygritz.com

Derek Flood

Apr 19, 2017, 7:30:10 PM4/19/17
to OpenColorIO Users
Thanks Larry, your help is much appreciated!

I set the environment variable to point to the spi-vfx config.ocio file (i.e. the full directory path). I then ran oiiotool --help as you suggested (OpenImageIO 1.6.18), and got:

Known color spaces: "linear", "sRGB", "Rec709"

Shouldn't I instead expect to see things like vd16 and so on from spi-vfx?

Consequently, if I run maketx with "sRGB to linear" this now works, but if I try something like "srgb8 to linear" or  "vd8 to linear" I get the error

"Error Creating Color Processor."

Larry Gritz

Apr 19, 2017, 8:31:47 PM4/19/17
to ocio-...@googlegroups.com
When it doesn't find a valid OCIO configuration, or an empty one, it says "linear", "sRGB", "Rec709", and has internal logic (even without OCIO) to do those mutual conversions.

It's behaving as if it's not finding an OCIO config it can use.

Deke Kincaid

Apr 19, 2017, 8:59:33 PM4/19/17
to ocio-...@googlegroups.com
Are you pointing the OCIO environment variable to the actual config.ocio file? (not the folder it is in).

Derek Flood

Apr 19, 2017, 10:02:28 PM4/19/17
to OpenColorIO Users
Yes, its pointing to config.ocio file. Is that incorrect?

Derek Flood

Apr 20, 2017, 9:17:00 PM4/20/17
to OpenColorIO Users
Okay, I set the env variable in the shell and all is working now. Thanks so much for your help! :)