Re: [ocio-dev] SIGGRAPH 2018 - OpenColorIO Birds of a Feather

Sean Cooper

Aug 16, 2018, 4:07:59 AM8/16/18
to ocio...@googlegroups.com, ocio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike!

I'm particularly interested to discuss the ramifications of built in colour science transforms.

I suspect that well defined and static colourspaces won't be too controversial, but dynamic colourspaces like ACES become more problematic. Where forcing recompiling and linking of the library for every ACES release isn't ideal. We're open to ideas on how to effectively solve this problem set and benefit us all with a uniform and reliable implementation of colour transforms.

And a special shout out to Patrick, Bernard, and Mike for the huge help and verification of our moving development. The community is very grateful for your contributions and care.

P.S. I recorded the conversation of this year's v2 working group in addition to Doug's notes. I'll append notes or provide the full audio log if some one requests it, pending Doug et. al. approval.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 7:25 pm Michael Dolan, <mich...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello OCIO community,

On Tuesday (August 14th) we held the OpenColorIO Birds of a Feather meeting at SIGGRAPH 2018 in Vancouver. Thanks to everyone who was able to attend, we had a great turnout!

The agenda focused on the latest pull requests from the Autodesk OCIO v2 team: Doug Walker, Patrick Hodoul, and Bernard Lefebvre. Doug ran a live demo in Flame showing Lut3D inversion, tetrahedral interpolation on the GPU, ICC and CLF support, and new Range and CDL ops. Patrick then gave an explanation of the new GPU renderer, greatly expanded unit tests, and additions to ocioconvert and ociodisplay for validating OCIO output.

I followed Doug and Patrick's presentation with a case study on how we implemented the new GPU renderer at Imageworks, and are seeing parity with the same color transforms in Nuke's implementation of the OCIO CPU renderer.

We also heard an update from Foundry's Tony Micilotta on the future of OCIO integration in Nuke.

Sean Cooper (DNEG) and Mark Boorer (ILM) concluded the meeting by moderating a discussion on the OCIO v2 proposal for rigorous built-in transforms and the potential for an external "OpenColorMath" C++ library.

The presentation slides are attached for your reference. Conversation will continue in this mail list and the OCIO Slack group, so feel free to add your thoughts or ask any questions you may have. A recorded version of Doug's demo will be made available sometime after SIGGRAPH, so stay tuned.

Thanks!
Michael Dolan

Douglas Walker

Aug 16, 2018, 3:58:20 PM8/16/18
to ocio...@googlegroups.com, ocio-...@googlegroups.com
Sean, you're very welcome to share.  The v2 project is being run entirely in the open and we want the community to be informed and to participate.

I'm on my way back to Montreal ATM and would be happy to share the working group slides on my return, although they were pretty minimal and mostly just intended as conversation starters, so the audio is probably a better record of the event.  Also, Patrick, Bernard, and I will be hosting an online meeting in two weeks for those that could not be in Vancouver and we will do a recap of the SIGGRAPH sessions there as well.

I second your shout out to Patrick, Bernard, and Mike, awesome work guys!

Sean, it was great to see you in Vancouver.  It's very cool to see the Imageworks / Autodesk collaboration you helped us start last year delivering some nice results!

Doug

Michael Dolan

Aug 16, 2018, 3:58:20 PM8/16/18
to ocio...@googlegroups.com, ocio-...@googlegroups.com