Typical configuration files used

Simon Therriault

Nov 22, 2018, 12:23:05 PM11/22/18
to OpenColorIO Developers

Hi,

During my integration of the OCIO  library, I have mainly used the configuration files that can be obtained from the OCIO website, mainly nuke and Aces. I was wondering what is the typical use case by users of the library. Do people start from the Aces configuration and strip it down for what they need, do they start from scratch, do they keep the Aces configuration as is?

I'd be interested to have your input on this!

Thanks

Sean Cooper

Nov 22, 2018, 1:02:13 PM11/22/18
to ocio...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'd honestly say it depends on the time you have and your grasp of what problems you're trying to solve.

In truth the larger hill of difficulty is from generating you're own luts and/or decomposing colorspaces into the relevant ocio transforms, since there isn't as much helpful tooling around this.

If you do go down the path of creating your own config from stratch (not merely culling the list of an existing one) I'd suggest using the API to generate your config. In my opinion there is no reason to be manually editing the YAML by hand.

Simon Therriault

Nov 23, 2018, 9:01:25 AM11/23/18
to OpenColorIO Developers
Thanks for the info Sean.

On my side, it's more a question of how much data the typical configuration files relies on. For Aces, it's something like 70 LUTs and 270Mb of data. That's why I was wondering if it's a typical use case. I guess it could be both, since like you said, starting from scratch, is not the easiest path and the typical user won't want to spend much time fiddling with this. If what's available as is can do everything, then it's better to use it and be done with it.