Building from a source on Linux

Cat Jordan

Feb 20, 2019, 4:56:02 PM2/20/19
to ocio...@googlegroups.com
Ok, please keep in mind I'm very bad at coding while reading this question.
I'm following the "building from a source" instructions on this page (http://opencolorio.org/installation.html). I made it to "run cmake..." before I got stuck. Here's what I got when i tried to put in the code as is.
"CMake Error: The source directory "/source/ocio" does not exist.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI."
Using 'sudo' didn't help. when I added " .." o the end I  got this error;
"CMake Error: The source directory "/home/sigi/Downloads" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt."
I had navigated to the downloads folder at this point because that's where the file in question is.
image.png
Trying to move all these files to tmp/ociobuild didn't help either.
I don't know what I'm doing please help

Michael Dolan

Feb 22, 2019, 1:26:58 AM2/22/19
to ocio...@googlegroups.com
"source/ocio" in the example cmake command needs to be replaced with the path to the OCIO source directory on your machine ("/home/sigi/Downloads/imageworks-OpenColorIO-a4dc9cd" in your case, pictured in your screen grab).

So you should:
1. Create an empty build directory somewhere and cd to it
2. From this directory, run cmake with the command:

cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<where OCIO should be installed> <where the OCIO source lives>
This will configure the project for building within your current directory when you later run "make", and install to the install directory when you then run "make install"

Hope that helps.

Patrick Hodoul

Feb 22, 2019, 9:56:42 AM2/22/19
to OpenColorIO Developers

Here is a concrete Linux example (i.e. easily adaptable to other platforms) on how to download and build OCIO:

Cat Jordan

Feb 24, 2019, 2:41:03 PM2/24/19
to ocio...@googlegroups.com
Hey, thanks for clearing that up. Unfortunately Cmake couldn't find the compiler, and neither could I. here was the error I got this time:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:1 (project):
  No CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER could be found.

  Tell CMake where to find the compiler by setting either the environment
  variable "CXX" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to the full path
  to the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.