Boat Capsizes 11/28/09 Mission Bay

Stan

Nov 30, 2009, 6:12:14 PM11/30/09
to Oceanside Anglers Club
This was a 29' Defiance "Dealer Boat" that flipped last weekend
during the Annual "After Thanksgiving Invitational Halibut Tournament"
out of Mission Bay. A San Diego Lifeguard boat also flipped while
trying to keep this boat off the Mission Bay Jetty. A lot of
speculation on what happened, but here it is from the skipper of the
boat that went down. Shows how fast things can go sideways. Here's
the skipper's version:

This may SAVE YOUR LIFE! …READ THIS! …The REAL story about the
Defiance capsizing during the thanksgiving halibut classic – BY ME…THE
GUY DRIVING!!!

The first line in this report: We’re all alive.
The bottom line in this story: We’re all alive.
This being said, it is time to put the dozens of rumors, second-
guessing, and Monday-morning-quarterbacking aside and LEARN a few
things from this terrifying day.

Mike is a great guy, runs a great event and should in NO WAY be blamed
for any of this. It is the captain’s (me) decision to factor in all of
the conditions, vessel, crew, tide, experience, etc….to determine what
is safe and when it is safe. I take sole and full responsibility for
the accident…I blame no-one or have no excuses….but there ARE several
reasons this happened the way it did, and learning from it may save a
life. If it only saves ONE LIFE, then it will be worth the time spent
pecking away at this keyboard.

The weather reports were substantial…though, none of was even the
slightest bit nervous or scared as we left the bay around 6:30. Sure,
the stuff was big…but spaced out enough to make it manageable.

We were in a 12,000 pound, 29 foot (about 36 feet length-overall)
Defiance pilot house, with twin Yamaha 250 four strokes. We had a full
tuna-tower with second station, 115 gallon split bait tank. The floor
and bow were all filled with closed-cell floatation foam. Diamond Sea
Glaze storm windows. Radar, GPS, Two VHF radios, Two antennas, two
hand held VHFs, two Handheld GPS units, a personal EPIRB, two flare
guns, extra flares, strobe lights, standard PFDs, six cell phones, etc…
etc…The reason I describe this, is the gear was USELESS in this
situation! You can prepare, prepare, prepare, and then in a flash, you
are upside down in the water. There is NO TIME….NO TIME when it goes
bad. NO TIME….YOU MUST BE READY.

After turning up toward the crystal pier area, I pointed the boat into
the weather. While I tried to control our direction at the helm, three
of us tried to fish. It was un-fishable. After an hour, I made the
call to go back in and fish the bay. THIS IS WHERE MISTAKE ONE
OCCURRED. I should have thought about the stacked up conditions that
would be present at the entrance with a falling tide, and a huge swell
heading directly into the tide, two hours after the slack-high point.
Didn’t cross my mind. Didn’t think the boat or crew was in danger. Not
in the slightest. I have driven into that bay down-swell in dozens of
different boats, dozens, if not hundreds of times….why would this be
any different? IT WAS!

While we were swinging around trying to fish, we had managed to wrap
about two hundred yards of mono AND spectra around the port prop…..It
didn’t effect the performance of our ride at ten knots heading back to
the bay, BUT IT DID AT FULL THROTTLE WHEN WE NEEDED IT….conditions
were too rough to attempt clearing the prop, and it wasn’t effecting
our performance….so I made the call to get inside before putting
someone out on the swim platform to clear it…..Mistake Number TWO…..
The better call would have been to sit outside all day at idle until
low-slack-tide, or limp around to the big bay. Stupid – but I didn’t
realize it at the time….DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE – Stay alive.

He we go….I made a big, slow, gradual turn from Pacific Beach to dead-
center channel. As we timed the swells, we head in….tabs up….bow
up….throttles adjusting for swell-speed….the way the brain says to do
it….the way we have all done it….by the book….with the feel….calling
on all the experience…..anxious, but confident.

All six of us were in the pilothouse…door closed….I was on the back of
a gnarly big one…timing it….it started gaining on us….leaving us
behind, …I throttled all the way up to catch it, and had no thrust
from my port motor…it was the spectra….we were doomed. The bow fell
behind the swell and the next set picked up the stern and rolled us
over……..so fast it was unbelievable. The power of those big, ebbing-
stacked, twenty-footers is incredible.

A few minutes earlier I asked one of the crew to get all of the life
jackets out of the bags and out of storage. How many of us have stowed-
away PFD’s?....In a 36 foot-LOA, fully-enclosed pilot house….would you
be wearing them in these conditions? ….I thought so too. READ THIS
CAREFULLY OR YOU WILL DROWN!!!!!! We had all the PFDs next to each of
us as we went in. I had a self-inflating C02 PFD snapped on as I stood
at the helm.

When the boat rolled over, the cabin door slammed shut. The water
pressure from outside held it shut. Bo Palmer wedged his arm in the
closing-door first, but as we all tumbled, he lost his footing and it
slammed. He thought this sealed it for us….we were dead…… Somehow with
the help of adrenalin, courage, help from GOD, and the assistance of
Jared at the other end, he pried the door open till it clicked into
the auto-latch…… OPEN!

The water rushed in filling the dark, upside-down pilothouse in five
seconds……the five crew who were NOT WEARING PFD’s were ABLE to swim
down through the doorway, out into the cockpit, and out from under the
boat…….those crew NOT WEARING PFDS!!!!!!.....Crazy huh?....Had they
put the jackets on, instead of holding them, THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN
PINNED AGAINST THE UPSIDE-DOWN HULL AND DROWNED!!!!!.... AGAIN, read
this part carefully OR YOU MAY DROWN!!!......CARRY A KNIFE….OR
TWO….CLIPPED ON YOUR PFD OR BELT OR BOTH….My auto-inflator, did its
job, and floated me to the underside of the cabin floor……I watched all
five crew members swim out the door, and I was pinned to the cabin
floor by my inflated PFD, with about eight inches of water above my
neck. There was so much pressure around my fat head and under my arms,
that it was impossible to un-buckle the vest…….My mind raced, and I
realized my Spiderco stainless knife was clipped to my pocket….I
grabbed it, popped both cells of my PFD, took one last breath from the
air-pocket, and swam down out the door, around the bait tank, and up
the side of the over-turned gunnel.

I remember screaming for a head count was first. Two were on the hull
bottom…two more were holding onto the anchor pulpit. One was swimming
toward the end of the jetty, and I held onto the prop and
skeg…..THEN….the next monster-breaker blew us away from the boat like
we were feathers. I was able to make it back between sets…Bo made it
to the other inverted motor. My son Steven was twenty yards down
swell, in water-proof pants and tight extra-tuff boots….ANOTHER
LESSON……Get your boots off FAST! Do NOT wear any WATER TIGHT
CLOTHING!!!!.....You will DROWN!....He is young, athletic, and in
shape…but…He was barely able to keep himself afloat for the 15-20
minutes it took for the rescue boat to arrive. He was barely
conscious, and on his last couple of breaths when the rescue swimmer
got to him…..He did not regain consciousness until he was in the
ambulance on the way to the hospital----he coughed out tons of
saltwater….GET YOUR BOOTS OFF AND BUY THEM ONE-SIZE TOO BIG!!!!

Jared made it out with a PFD…He was ok. Feller made it to the Jetty.
Kerry was aware enough to get out of her boots and sweatshirt, and
swim to the rocks….she was exhausted, but alive.
Bo and I were dragged into the little whaler after Steven as the best
trained, most heroic SD Lifeguard rescue swimmers I have ever
witnessed saved our lives. THESE GUYS ARE HEROS!!!

The lessons here are many. It is my hope that you will read, and re-
read these scenarios and play it out in your mind to stay alive when
something like this runs up on you.

The boat did what it was supposed to. It floated. We crippled it, then
asked it to do what it couldn’t, but it floated like it was built-to
until help arrived. We lost the tower to the bottom, the rest of the
boat is totaled……who cares…..We’re alive.

Stan

Nov 30, 2009, 6:54:14 PM11/30/09
to Oceanside Anglers Club
BTW: I was not on the boat. Stan

JACK GRAHAM

Nov 30, 2009, 9:25:01 PM11/30/09
to Oceanside Anglers Club, Stan
They should (Mike) have called the tourny! Flag was flying.

David Bernatz

Nov 30, 2009, 9:30:25 PM11/30/09
to JACK GRAHAM, Oceanside Anglers Club, Stan
True that!