Upgrade to OCCT 6.9.0?

Daniel

May 28, 2015, 3:00:09 PM5/28/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
Any plans on upgrading to the recent release of OCCT?
I might need some fixes/functionality...

benjami...@compositence.de

May 29, 2015, 8:43:51 AM5/29/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to join! An upgrade would be great!

D. Barbier

Jun 1, 2015, 6:32:01 AM6/1/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Sorry for the delay; I will work on it very soon now and plan to
prepare a pull request around June 14th.

Denis

jelle

Jul 15, 2015, 4:23:49 PM7/15/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious as well, somehow moving to 6.9.0 is taking a little longer than usual.
Must be the summer ;)

QbProg

Jul 16, 2015, 4:18:19 PM7/16/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
Honestly, I think at the moment the only one capable of doing this is Denis, as I (we) never learned how to correctly rebase a new OCCT version and how to handle the patches.
Maybe this could be the occasion for everyone's interested to get on this so the library can be upgraded on a volunteer basis :)
Denis, when you have a bunch of free time, could you write down a wiki page with the process of maintaining patches and how you usually integrate a new OCCT version?

I'm slowly working on cleaning up the "oce-win-bundle" mess, and upgrading the compiler to Vc++ 2015.
 I hope to make it for the next OCE release, maybe with the TBB support added.

Qb

jelle

Jul 17, 2015, 1:06:59 PM7/17/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
True, excellent point Qb...

benjami...@compositence.de

Aug 18, 2015, 6:21:24 AM8/18/15
to oce-dev
Are there any news? An update would be sooooo great!

Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2015 19:06:59 UTC+2 schrieb jelle:
True, excellent point Qb...

jelle

Sep 8, 2015, 4:02:09 PM9/8/15
to oce-dev
Tangential to this, here is the release notes of the beta release of OCC 6.9.1

gpr

Sep 9, 2015, 12:53:58 AM9/9/15
to oce-dev

pls check the link below .. now working

jelle feringa

Sep 9, 2015, 3:44:50 AM9/9/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
pls check the link below .. now working

Chris

Sep 24, 2015, 5:03:19 AM9/24/15
to oce-dev
I would second this and wait for 6.9.1, which will solve some very annoying bugs (e.g. http://tracker.dev.opencascade.org/view.php?id=26308) and should hopefully make OCE useable under OS X again.

D. Barbier

Sep 29, 2015, 5:46:39 AM9/29/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-07-16 22:18 GMT+02:00 QbProg wrote:
> Honestly, I think at the moment the only one capable of doing this is Denis,
> as I (we) never learned how to correctly rebase a new OCCT version and how
> to handle the patches.
> Maybe this could be the occasion for everyone's interested to get on this so
> the library can be upgraded on a volunteer basis :)
> Denis, when you have a bunch of free time, could you write down a wiki page
> with the process of maintaining patches and how you usually integrate a new
> OCCT version?
[...]

Hi all,

First of all, my apologies for being away for such a long time. I
took a break in mid-July without reading my mails and enjoyed it so
much that I got back only a couple of days ago. I now have a *huge*
backlog.

I am afraid that you are right, Qb, I am currently the only one being
able to rebase against OCCT releases, which is a real problem. I
would like to tell that I will work on this upgrade very soon now, but
a safer option is to spend this time to let some of you learn how to
perform these upgrades. I wrote
https://github.com/tpaviot/oce/wiki/Git-workflow#merging-a-new-occt-release
some time ago, but this is surely not enough.
Maybe we could spend some time on IRC (or any other channel) for
interactive training sessions? I have some free time around 7PM-10PM
UTC every day, would this work for you?

Denis

jelle feringa

Sep 29, 2015, 9:01:56 AM9/29/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
Hi Denis,

First of all, my apologies for being away for such a long time.  I
took a break in mid-July without reading my mails and enjoyed it so
much that I got back only a couple of days ago.

Emails sabbaticals are the best...
Great to have you back on the list ;)

I am afraid that you are right, Qb, I am currently the only one being
able to rebase against OCCT releases, which is a real problem.  I
would like to tell that I will work on this upgrade very soon now, but
a safer option is to spend this time to let some of you learn how to
perform these upgrades.  I wrote
 https://github.com/tpaviot/oce/wiki/Git-workflow#merging-a-new-occt-release
some time ago, but this is surely not enough.
Maybe we could spend some time on IRC (or any other channel) for
interactive training sessions?  I have some free time around 7PM-10PM
UTC every day, would this work for you?

That’s a very generous offer…
I’m curious what you think of the following:

- why not do this on google hangouts? this allows for screensharing
- recording such a session might be a good idea?
- perhaps wait for a few days such that other interested candidates can sign up for this?

Awesome that your willing to share this skill set Denis...

-jelle

blob...@gmx.com

Sep 29, 2015, 11:40:59 AM9/29/15
to oce-dev

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 5:46:39 AM UTC-4, Denis Barbier wrote:

Maybe we could spend some time on IRC (or any other channel) for
interactive training sessions?  I have some free time around 7PM-10PM
UTC every day, would this work for you?

Denis

I would like to sit in on this.

QbProg

Sep 29, 2015, 1:04:43 PM9/29/15
to oce-dev

Me too! From Thursday on I can be there,
Else a recording would be nice too!
Thanks for doing that Denis
Qb

D. Barbier

Sep 29, 2015, 3:44:02 PM9/29/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-09-29 14:01 GMT+01:00 jelle feringa wrote:
[...]
> I’m curious what you think of the following:
>
> - why not do this on google hangouts? this allows for screensharing
> - recording such a session might be a good idea?
> - perhaps wait for a few days such that other interested candidates can sign
> up for this?

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestions; I feel uncomfortable about doing audio
conferences for many reasons, but I will think about it.

A doodle-like poll is available at
https://framadate.org/UyLabLjUCmXvGxwp
let us see if we can find some dates.

We will use git and quilt (on Windows, this may require installing
Cygwin or Mingw).

Denis

jelle feringa

Sep 29, 2015, 3:52:16 PM9/29/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
Hi Denis,

> Thanks for your suggestions; I feel uncomfortable about doing audio
> conferences for many reasons, but I will think about it.

Lets do whatever is practical / comfortable, sorry if my suggestion was a poor idea.
I guess taking notes and putting those on the OCE wiki makes for an alternative.

> A doodle-like poll is available at
> https://framadate.org/UyLabLjUCmXvGxwp
> let us see if we can find some dates.

That’s a great idea for finding a convenient date…

Much looking fwd & thanks again for taking the initiative Denis,

-jelle

blob...@gmx.com

Sep 29, 2015, 5:18:12 PM9/29/15
to oce-dev

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:44:02 PM UTC-4, Denis Barbier wrote:
We will use git and quilt (on Windows, this may require installing
Cygwin or Mingw).

Denis

I am comfortable with git, but quilt + patches are completely foreign to me. I am reading how-to-use-quilt-to-manage-patches-in-debian-packages. Is there another think that would be better to help me prepare?

Should we have the occ 6.9.1 source available?

Thomas Paviot

Sep 30, 2015, 1:01:33 AM9/30/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
Hello Denis,

I'm happy you're back.

This training session is an excellent idea. I'm not a big fan of audio conferences : might be long to set up, always waiting for someone to reconnect, networks latencies etc. it's not very convenient imho. Moreover, everything that is discussed remains only in attendees ears and we should think about one of us who can't be with us. It would be better to leave the session with a written history that we can share as a training material.

Thomas

D. Barbier

Sep 30, 2015, 5:37:26 AM9/30/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-09-29 23:18 GMT+02:00 wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:44:02 PM UTC-4, Denis Barbier wrote:
>>
>> We will use git and quilt (on Windows, this may require installing
>> Cygwin or Mingw).
>>
>> Denis
>

> I am comfortable with git, but quilt + patches are completely foreign to me.
> I am reading how-to-use-quilt-to-manage-patches-in-debian-packages. Is there
> another think that would be better to help me prepare?

No, this one looks good, we will mostly use commands from these 2 sections:
* Applying and unapplying patches, navigating in the stack of patches
* Updating patches for a new upstream version

> Should we have the occ 6.9.1 source available?

Either 6.9.0 or 6.9.1, yes, it depends whether we want to switch
directly to 6.9.1 or not, I will start a new thread.

Denis

D. Barbier

Oct 1, 2015, 4:22:35 AM10/1/15
to oce...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-09-29 20:43 GMT+01:00 I wrote:
[...]
> A doodle-like poll is available at
> https://framadate.org/UyLabLjUCmXvGxwp
> let us see if we can find some dates.
[...]

Hello,

Given the answers received up to now, I propose to meet on Monday,
October 5th at 9PM UTC (check your local time!) for 1h30; we could
also arrange a 2nd meeting on Friday, October 9th for an advanced
session, if you will have time to test next week what you will learn
on Monday.
More details later on the support we will use for interacting (IRC,
Google hangout, ...).

Denis

benjami...@compositence.de

Oct 28, 2015, 4:54:05 AM10/28/15
to oce-dev
Hi,

did you succeed? Will there be an update?

Benjamin

jelle

Oct 28, 2015, 4:59:00 AM10/28/15
to oce-dev
Hi Benjamin,

There's a branch from blobfish that has applied the OCE patches to OCC 6.9.1, which is found here.
This might be relevant until OCE master catches up?

-jelle

benjami...@compositence.de

Oct 28, 2015, 6:53:16 AM10/28/15
to oce-dev
Okay, thank you!

Jim

Dec 15, 2015, 6:21:48 AM12/15/15
to oce-dev
Hi everyone

I am wondering if there any chance of this update arriving in master before Christmas?

Jim

Jim

Jan 10, 2016, 10:41:54 AM1/10/16
to oce-dev
I am compiling Blobfish github branch 691patched_3, and I will then compile a FreeCAD with that.

Is that the best or most advanced branch for the OCE equivalent of OCC691?

I am compiling on Kubuntu 12.04 64bit with tbb, gl2ps, freeimg. So far it seems to be compiling, its over 40%

Jim

Jim

Jan 11, 2016, 4:54:23 AM1/11/16
to oce-dev
It compiled and seems to be working OK. I have found a few cases where some FreeCAD models now work that were having issues with earlier OCE. So so far it looks great!

blob...@gmx.com

Jan 11, 2016, 11:18:42 AM1/11/16
to oce-dev
yes,  691patched_3 is the most recent.