oce-0.19 and occt-7.2.0

Thomas Paviot

Feb 19, 2018, 10:00:03 AM2/19/18
to oce...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The latest oce release (0.18.3) is built upon upstream occt-6.9.1. Newer occt release are available (7.0, 7.1 and 7.2). The latest upstream release (i.e. occt-7.2.0) fixes many issues already adressed by some community patches, adds a cmake support whereas 6.9 did not. Moreover, Handle() and WOK refactoring, strongly modified the code base.

As a consequence, it's not worth trying to apply the hundreds of old oce patches to the upsream codebase. Many of them are deprecated. I suggest we start the new oce development branch from scratch. Here is the workflow :

* on the github oce repository (https://github.com/tpaviot/oce), I created a new branch named upstream-occt-720. I removed the old oce files/folders, and here copied/pasted the code from occt-7.2.0. Additionnally, I also added an official patch (https://github.com/tpaviot/oce/commit/3295a1b4baf023c290d9331853a0ca8b5022777d) that prevents compiling on modern gcc compilers ;

This branch is not merged into master yet.

* another branch, named review/occt-720-patches, built on top of upstream-occt-7.2.0, contains patches over upstream code. So far, I added patches related to ci (travis, appveyor) and the windows bundle. It's still work in progress, but compilation on linux/osx works in most cases (see https://travis-ci.org/tpaviot/oce/builds/342942545).

This branch, prefixed with review/, triggers a travis/appveyor built each time a commit is pushed to the oce repository, or a new PR is submitted.

If you wish to contribute patches, here is the way to go: submit a new PR for in integration into review/occt-720-patches.

Contribution can be either:

* a documentation update (wiki, markdown files etc.) ;

* a fix/improvement to the ci system (travis/appveyor) ;

* anything that fixes/improves compilation for different platforms/compilers.

The oce development version is now set to 0.19.

Regards,

Thomas

jelle feringa

Feb 19, 2018, 12:45:27 PM2/19/18
to oce...@googlegroups.com
Dear Thomas,

Its wonderful news that OCE will achieve parity with OCCT soon; I’m excited to see OCE moving fwd!
Given the suggested revamped workflow can I suggest, in relation to your comment:

> The oce development version is now set to 0.19

That OCE will utilise the same version nr as OCCT?
The version number is historic and right now seems a good moment to address this unnecessary inconsistency.

Finally, will this new version be ABI compatible with OCCT?
If so, that would be an additional argument for syncing version nr’s.

Thanks,

-jelle