Transitions PDX Food Group Meeting

Adam Brockman

Mar 29, 2012, 3:26:23 AM3/29/12
to OccupyPortlandFoodTeam
Hi all! I hope everyone is having a wonderful spring evening. A
young woman on the bus gave me a pie that she baked in culinary school
- that has certainly brought an added feeling of buoyancy to this day
as it comes to an end.

I attended the Transitions PDX Food Group seed exchange and spring re-
grouping party at Whole Foods. There were about eight people there,
including two Occupiers, and one of the Occupiers gave a talk on GMOs,
which was followed by a brief talk on seed sprouting, concluding with
the seed exchange, where I got lots of dill, bush beans, broccoli,
pink brandywine tomatoes, and various flowers. I told the group what
OPDX Food and Garden Team is up to, and everyone was super stoked
about the gardens. Several of the attendees are interested in
volunteering for work parties, and I have been asked to post all
upcoming work parties and events on the Transitions PDX List serve,
which means that all of Transitions PDX will be informed about Food
and Garden Team happenings. The Transitions Food Group is trying to
start a movement in Portland to encourage people to garden in the
median strips in front of their houses, between the sidewalk and the
road. I see a potential for collaboration on this with the Food and
Garden Team in the future. Also, it was decided at today's meeting
that the Transitions Food Group will focus on ways to push for greater
food sovereignty for the city of Portland or Multnomah County. This
may begin with a push to ban the growing of genetically modified crops
in the city or county, as has been done in Mendocino County,
California. There will be more to come on this in the future.

I'll be posting about upcoming events soon. Love you all,

Adam

Kelly's Gmail

Apr 1, 2012, 6:45:02 PM4/1/12
to occupyportl...@googlegroups.com

Adam  & group

I have been wanting to learn more about Transitions PDX....

Can you post the link to their listserve?  Do you know when they meet?

When does this group meet?

I undertsand the need not to widely publicize private addresses of gardens but I
am concerned about people getting info they need to show for garden projects...

Can we talk about how this works?

I have a list of 10 folks in Se lookin to garden but not quite sure how to manage this...

Kelly
503-849-9648