Final Reminder: Fight for the Unhoused in Palo Alto TOMORROW!

James

Aug 4, 2013, 10:09:25 PM8/4/13
to ORWC, OMV, OStan, OPalo
(The following event is sponsored by ORWC, PDA, and OSJ.)

Hi Everyone,

Can you join us TOMORROW, August 5, from 6 to 8 PM? It is time for us speak out - to stop the proposed ban against vehicular dwelling, and to create a city that is caring, not exclusive. Stop the criminalization of our unhoused sisters and brothers!

RALLY AT PALO ALTO'S CITY HALL PLAZA BEFORE THE COUNCIL MEETING:

Between 7:30-ish and 8 PM, we'll take our seats in City Hall, fill out our speaker cards, and tell council why they should not enact a ban on car dwelling. The City Council agenda states that the ordinance enacting the ban is on the agenda at about 8:40 PM. Be prepared to speak for one minute only. It is very possible that if we pack the council chambers, our speaking time will be chopped down by the City Council from three minutes to one. If you need talking points, we will have them available for you.

Everyone - we need your voices.  And we need to prepare you that this will be a long night - eat before you come, bring snacks and water, and be patient for your turn to speak out against the ban.

--
Stop the Ban is a coalition of individuals and organizations that oppose Palo Alto's ordinance that would ban vehicle dwelling.  We think the city can address this issue in a more humane and creative way.

Organizations participating in the coalition include:
Action Council of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto
Palo Alto Friends Meeting
First Presbyterian Church of Palo Alto
Community Cooperation Team
Neighbors Helping Neighbors
Santa Clara County Single Payer Healthcare Coalition
Women's International League for Peace and Freedom
Occupy Redwood City
Occupy San Jose
Peninsula Direct Action
Midtown Neighbors & Friends