MEDIA ADVISORY: Info for Stop the Ban Event in Palo Alto

ORWC Media

Jul 27, 2013, 12:42:45 AM7/27/13
to ORWC Media
MEDIA ADVISORY

Stop the Ban Coalition's Event Reminder
Community Dinner for the Unhoused in Palo Alto

Media Contacts

Edie Keating, Stop the Ban Coalition: 650.630.3005

Cubberley Event E-mail: edie.ke...@gmail.com
Stop the Ban E-mail: StopTh...@gmail.com
ORWC Contact: James...@gmail.com

PALO ALTO - The Stop the Ban Coalition is issuing one last reminder before our community dinner event for the unhoused people of Palo Alto:

EVENT INFO: Community dinner Saturday, July 27 at 6 PM. To be held at the Cubberley Community Center on 4000 Middlefield Road in Palo Alto. Free pizza and salad will be served, and voluntary contributions will be accepted.

NOTICE TO PRESS FOR THIS EVENT: While we have many unhoused people who are happy to be public with their stories, others do not want their names recorded or photos of them to be taken. Please respect the privacy of our unhoused neighbors and make sure to verify with any attendee if they are willing to let you use their name and/or photo, to respect the privacy of the unhoused. Name tags will have little "dot" stickers to indicate that the person is okay with media asking about their story.

Background: Palo Alto is proposing a ban on car dwelling and the City Council will likely be considering the ban at their upcoming council meeting on August 5.

The Stop the Ban Coalition is a diverse group of community members who believe Palo Alto should not enact a ban on car dwelling. We know this ban will hurt some of our most at-risk community members. We are inviting the community to join us for dinner in solidarity with unhoused community members and to discuss how to get involved before the impending council meeting. Those in the community who support the ban and have concerns about potential safety issues in their neighborhood are welcome as well. The coalition is looking forward to respectfully hearing those concerns and discussing possible alternative solutions that would benefit the entire city.

###

--
Occupy Redwood City
Media and Communications