Occupy the Film Festival Press Release

Shannon Vinson

Aug 27, 2012, 2:57:39 PM8/27/12
to Occupy Cinema
Hey guys!

Long time no see/talk to!  I hope you're all doing well!!  I just wanted to pass around the press release for Occupy the Film Festival!  I'm sure you all know about it because, I mean, it's at Anthology, but I thought I'd pass around the press release if you guys wanna send it to anyone. Let me know if anyone w/ OC is interested in doing any events because I'm in!

Best,

--
Shannon Vinson

Office Manager
Tribeca Film Institute
MA Performance Studies
New York University

Inline image 1

***FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE**

MIC CHECK!                       MIC CHECK!

#OCCUPY THE FILM FESTIVAL CELEBRATES THE FIRST ANNIVERSARY OF THE OCCUPY WALL STREET MOVEMENT WITH A MULTIMEDIA EXTRAVAGANZA!!

**DOZENS OF FILMS ** GUERRILLA PROJECTIONS **

** POSTER + PHOTO + NEWSPAPER EXHIBIT**

CONTACT: OCCUPYTHEF...@GMAIL.COM FOR MORE INFO

New York City, NY – August 8, 2012 – We are proud to announce the inaugural OCCUPY THE FILM FESTIVAL, featuring a curated line-up of outstanding films about the movement that captured the public imagination.

The festival will be held on the eve of the first anniversary of the movement at New York City’s premier independent cinema, Anthology Film Archives, on Saturday, September 15 at 6 pm and 8:30 pm and Sunday, September 16, at 7:30 pm.

A panel of veteran media makers and activists considered over 200 films for the festival. “The sheer number of submissions shows the tremendous explosion of creativity the Occupy movement inspired,” says organizer Shannon Vinson of Occupy Cinema, an Occupy Wall Street working group.

“One year after tens of thousands of people occupied public squares around the world, OCCUPY THE FILM FESTIVAL explores the roots of the movement, why it spread like wildfire and how it evolved,” says organizer Michelle Fawcett, a co-founder of the New York City Grassroots Media Conference who has visited 40 occupations nationwide.

In addition to the film schedule, festivities include outdoor guerrilla projections by the Illuminator, a poster collection from the OccuPrint collective, a photography show by award-winning photographers, an exhibit of Occupy newspapers from around the country, informational tabling, guest speakers and a special after-party.

OCCUPY THE FILM FESTIVAL includes U.S. premieres along with exclusive question-and-answer sessions with the filmmakers!

#US PREMIERE!!

An intimate portrait, Fair Square: Occupy Amsterdam follows one encampment from its inspired birth to its many challenges, a story mirrored in occupations around the world. Filmmaker and anthropologist Sara Blom will travel from Amsterdam to New York City for the festival. “I am absolutely ecstatic about participating in OCCUPY THE FILM FESTIVAL,” says Blom.

#THE FILM EVERYONE IS RAVING ABOUT!!

“We cannot wait for corporate media to tell our story,” says Director Dennis Trainor, Jr. “We must take on that task for ourselves.” Shot on the front lines in New York City, Boston and DC, American Autumn: An OccuDoc is a fast-paced and and fearless provocation to Occupy! Featuring Naomi Klein, Prof. Cornell West, Dr. Margaret Flowers, Sgt. Shamar Thomas and many Occupy Wall Street organizers.

#NEW YORK CITY PREMIERE!!

We’re Not Broke unmasks how corporations like Exxon, Google and Bank of America conceal colossal profits overseas while political leaders claim “We’re broke!” and what one group of people decided to do about it. “We’re happy to be part of honoring the first year anniversary of the Occupy Wall Street protests in New York City,” says Co-Director Karin Hayes.

#SHORTS PROGRAMS!

Shorts programs precede each feature and highlight the explosion in creativity the Occupy movement inspired around the country and world. The shorts hail from Spain to Minnesota, from Greece to Hawaii, and range in style from animation to news to playful DIY. Hear the stories of vets, farmers, economists, students, artists and many others who Occupy everywhere for a better world for the 99%.

Celebrate the first anniversary of the Occupy Wall Street movement with art, and OCCUPY THE FILM FESTIVAL!

BUY YOUR TICKETS ONLINE NOW at http://occupythefilmfestival.com/schedule/

LIKE us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/OccupyTheFilmFestival

FOLLOW us at http://twitter.com/occupy_filmfest

ANTHOLOGY FILM ARCHIVES