urgent: save The Illuminator!!!

vivian demuth

Sep 23, 2012, 11:54:49 AM9/23/12
to vivian demuth

Hi,
I'm forwarding this request from Gan Golan to save The Illuminator. We need $2000 dollars by the deadline Tuesday, 3am. Please donate whatever you can via kickstarter and please forward this email.

Thanks
Vivian
Hi all,

If you know about The Illuminator (aka "The 99% Bat Signal") then you know it's  the most badass art project (or project, period) to emerge out of the Occupy Wall Street movement. I say that as someone who is: 1) Not a member of the project; 2) A massively huge fan of it; and 3) Regularly pissed that I did not think of it myself.

You can see some cool videos of it here and here, and here it is even on the Rachel Maddow Show

This is an incredibly smart and powerful tool for social justice, and it has brilliantly supported a broad range of social justice causes from Corporate Tax DodgingThe Spectra Pipeline, The Atlantic Yards stadium, to freeing Pussy Riot and Julian Assange. When it shows up to event, it not only broadcasts the message on a huge scale, but the effect it has on crowds is amazing. Onlookers suddenly get more interested in whats happening, and protesters get pumped up, like the cavalry has just arrived.  It amplifies the hard work that so many of us do.

Heres the thing. This project is about to be confiscated under really unfortunate circumstances, and its all about money. The names and details of who is doing this are suprising, but they are not important.

What is important is that there's something that you and I can do about it.

The Illuminator crew has launched a crowd-funding campaign and because of the short timelines involved, they have 2 days left to raise another $5K. If they raise enough, they can 'buy back' the project and keep it in the hands of the people who created it, and continue to serve the many amazing causes they are a part of. But evern more awesome that that: if they get more than their ask, they can replicate the project and expand into new cities, where other teams are already on the ground and ready to to.

If you think this project is as amazing as I do, please give what you can. Then share this link with your friends and family.

The Illuminator is a remarkable and effective tool in the fight for social justice. Let's save it.

In Solidarity,
Gan

FInd the Illuminator on Facebook

Jon Dieringer

Sep 23, 2012, 8:35:24 PM9/23/12
to Occupy Cinema
If The Illuminator does another show sponsored by AT&T, I'm enlisting in the NYPD.
--
SCREEN SLATE / PUBLISHER/EDITOR / INDEPENDENT, REPERTORY & GALLERY SCREENING LISTINGS
SPECTACLE / HEAD PROGRAMMING COMMITTEE / 124 SOUTH 3RD STREET / BROOKLYN, NY