Schedule and Announcements for Wednesday November 14

Occupy Philly Daily Happenings

Nov 13, 2012, 11:08:44 PM11/13/12
5:00pm PCAPS Organzing Meeting - Youth United For Change - 1910 N
Front St (Berks Stop on the El A Train)
5:30pm Fight For Philly Community Organizing Meeting - 846 N Broad St
7:00pm Money Out of Politics working group/ Philly Rootstrikers -
Friends Center
9:00pm Occupy Homes National Training/Skillshare Weekly Call

The Food Committee will be serving this Thursday next to TD bank on
15th Street, near JFK. Prep starts at 12:30pm at Arch Street UMC at
Broad and Arch Sts. Because Food is a Human Right!

People's Bailout Telethon Party – Philadelphia Thursday 7:00pm Friends
Center, 15th & Cherry Sts., Philadelphia. On November 15th, Strike
Debt is holding a telethon & variety show, featuring some remarkable
artists, including Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel, Lee Ranaldo of
Sonic Youth, Guy Picciotto of Fugazi, Tunde Adebimpe of TV on the
Radio, plus some special surprise guests. Most of all, it features,
you, the people. Occupy Philly will be sponsoring a livestream viewing
party of the Strike Debt telethon, to launch The Rolling Jubilee, a
campaign that buys debt for pennies on the dollar and does away with
it. Instead of collecting the debt, we will abolish it and help free
the debtors!
This event will support the Rolling Jubilee, an ingenious way to buy
debt for pennies on the dollar, and abolish it. The Rolling Jubilee is
designed to scale up, but it need donations to do so. Each dollar of
contributions goes a long way -- $5 can abolish $100 of debt. For
$50,000, we can eliminate around a million dollars of debt. Think of
that: Together we abolish $1 million of debt, and that’s just the
start. The event will be streamed live at www.rollingjubilee.org

Prison Divestment Campaign Comes to Philly: Dump the Prison Stock,
Invest in Humanity. Join Amanda Garcés of the National Prison
Divestment Campaign for a conversation at Arch Street Methodist on
Thursday November 15th @ 7:30 PM and learn how to get involved in
ending the private prison and immigrant detention center industry.
This talk will also feature the launch of the "MISSING" project, a
collaboration between Decarcerate PA and the National Prison
Divestment Campaign. “MISSING” is a visibility project which utilizes
public art by creating life size silhouettes to be placed on walls,
used as signs, props, etc. to raise awareness of those who have been
stolen from our communities by the criminal justice system. The
National Prison Divestment Campaign is a growing national movement
that is pressuring financial institutions, large companies,
municipalities and pension funds to divest from the private prison
industry. Come out and learn how you can get involved. For more
information: http://prisondivestment.wordpress.com/
prisondives...@gmail.com

Help Fight for Philly change the conversation back to what really
matters here in Philly. Join us for the Good Jobs for Our
Neighborhoods Forum this Saturday in SW Philly as we announce a new
coalition and several specific policy goals our growing coalition will
pursue at the local level - the place of greatest impact. As the city
focuses on massive investment projects like the airport, we want to
make sure the jobs created are good, family-sustaining jobs. We want
you to join us Saturday and for the months ahead.
Good Jobs in our Neighborhoods NOW Saturday November 17th, 3pm-5pm
Grace Christian Fellowship UCC 6208 Grays Ave Philadelphia, PA 19142.
This forum needs you & your energy. Please spread the word and join us
as we come together. Let's affirm our progressive values with faith,
labor and community-based partners as we begin to plan & organize for
2013 because winning elections is not enough.

Put the Pennsylvania Prison System on Trial! Municipal Services
Building, Philadelphia. Monday, November 19, 2012 4:00pm Join
Decarcerate PA to put Governor Corbett & Department of Corrections
Secretary Wetzel on trial for crimes against Pennsylvanians. 15th &
JFK Blvd (the Municipal Services Building plaza). We charge Governor
Corbett with the misuse of funds for taking money from our schools and
putting it into the prison system. We charge Governor Corbett with
continuing policies that lock up our families, friends and neighbors,
destroy our communities and fail to make any of us safer. We charge
Secretary Wetzel with human rights abuses for the inhumane conditions
in Pennsylvania's prisons. We demand Governor Corbett cancel all
prison construction, support smart legislative reform to bring our
neighbors home and keep them home, and invest in education, social
services and health care to build safer, stronger communities! learn
more: http://decarceratePA.info/

BLACK FRIDAY STRIKE AGAINST WALMART Stand in solidarity with our
brothers and sisters and support them - NO SHOPPING AT ANY WALMART IN
AMERICA on Friday, November 23, 2012! Please watch this informative
documentary about WalMart and their practices, 'WalMart: The High Cost
of Low Prices':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jazb24Q2s94&noredirect=1 The historic
retail worker strikes began last Friday in Los Angeles, when 60+
people walked off work, and they quickly spread across the country.
Earlier in September, workers at warehouses owned by Walmart in
Illinois and California also went on strike. Striking workers are
demanding that Walmart end retaliatory practices against employees who
attempt to organize by Nov. 23, Black Friday. If not, they will strike
again on the biggest shopping day of the year.

Simply Love: a marriage equality event, a concert by the Anna Crusis
Women's Choir. Saturday, December 1, 2012 7:30pm, USG-Unitarian
Society of Germantown 6511 Lincoln Drive, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
19119. Tickets $20 [sliding scale avail] at www.annacrusis.com
Children under 12 free, Playcare available with reservation. Special
Guests: member of the Philadelphia Gay Men's Choir.

Occupy Sandy is a coordinated relief effort to help distribute
resources & volunteers to help neighborhoods and people affected by
Hurricane Sandy. We are a coalition of people & organizations who are
dedicated to implementing aid and establishing hubs for neighborhood
resource distribution. Members of this coalition are from Occupy,
350.org, and InterOccupy.net and many individual volunteers. Supplies
are needed, especially Blankets Candles Flashlights Lights Water Food
Batteries Diapers and Wipes Gloves and Masks Rubber boots Shovels
Cleaning supplies and bleach Trash bags Serving dishes and utensils
Anything that produces heat Winter wear (jackets, hats, gloves, warm
stuff). For more information on helping out, please check out
http://interoccupy.net/occupysandynj/

Events listed here include Occupy Philly related events as well as
other social justice events. For more updates be sure to check the
Occupy Philadelphia Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/OccupyPhiladelphia. Your support is greatly
appreciated!