Schedule and Announcements for Saturday 11/17 and Sunday 11/18

Occupy Philly Daily Happenings

Nov 16, 2012, 11:52:01 PM11/16/12
Saturday November 17th
11:00am  Books Through Bars Packing Cafe - The A-Space 4722 Baltimore Ave
1:00pm  From Chicago To Philly: The Fight For Public Education! - Science Leadership Academy - 22nd and Arch
2:00pm  Medical Debt Discussion Group - Cosi - 1700 Market St
2:00pm  Philly Jail Solidarity Collective Meeting - Gilberts Shoes -1652 Ridge Ave
3:30pm  BROKEN ON ALL SIDES Movie Screening, Discussion, & Activist Networking event - International House - 3701 Chestnut St
7:00pm  The Persistence of Dreams-Sublevarte Colectivo - Wooden Shoe Books -704 South St

Sunday November 18th
2:00pm  Strike Debt Philly Meeting - Wooden Shoe Books - 704 South St
2:00pm  PHARE/Wells Fargo working group - 1706 Race St
4:00pm  The Peoples Congress, Forming the Government We Want
5:00pm  Long Term Organizing MDU working group - Ethical Humanist Society, Rittenhouse Square
6:15pm  Conference Call - Occupy Colleges - interoccupy.net

Saturday, November 17th, 1pm - From Chicago To Philly: The Fight For Public Education!- Science Leadership Academy - 22nd & Arch - Philadelphia is facing the same struggles over public education that Chicago just faced. On November 17, leaders from the Chicago Teachers Union are coming to Philly to talk about: Transforming their union into a democratic organization Fighting against the austerity-driven cuts to public education and the severe impact on our most vulnerable Building alliances with parents and students to win! Implications for teachers and activists locally We face a huge struggle ahead and the time to come together and organize is now - come out to learn from Chicago's courageous leaders and share your own ideas and experiences with the Philly community at large! Co-Sponsored by the Teacher Action Group and Labor Working Group PLEASE spread the word far and wide! - https://www.facebook.com/events/167200880086278/

Saturday November 17th, 2pm - Medical Debt Discussion Group Saturday November 17th (tomorrow) 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Cosi -1700 Market St. We'll be holding a discussion group on the medical debt section of the Debt Resistors Operations Manual. If you don't have a copy of the manual, you can read this chapter online here.

Saturday, November 17th, 3:30pm - BROKEN ON ALL SIDES Movie Screening, Discussion, & Activist Networking event- International House - 3701 Chestnut St - Join us for a huge Philly screening and discussion of the new documentary by Philly filmmaker, activist, and attorney, Matt Pillischer.  "Broken On All Sides is a compelling documentary addressing racial inequities within our criminal justice system and its devastating collateral consequences. It is an excellent resource to use in educating, motivating, and empowering your group, organization, or community on this critical issue." - James E. Williams, Jr., Public Defender & Chair of the Task Force on Racial and Ethnic Bias in the Criminal Justice System - https://www.facebook.com/events/446501588725813/

Saturday November 17, 7pm - Wooden Shoe Books - 704 South St - The Persistence of Dreams-Sublevarte Colectivo - Sublevarte Colectivo, a group born of the 1999 student strikes in Mexico City, will do a retrospective exhibition of their thirteen years of graphic production. In La Persistencia de los Sueños, they will bring their graphic street interventions to highlight the various social movements and uprisings in which they participated and supported. Sublevarte Colectivo believes that the graphic arts should be a vehicle of expression and communication in society, and that these days the power of the visual image is stronger than words. They have brought this vision to their work with the Zapatistas, the flower sellers of Atenco, the striking teachers of Oaxaca, and dozens of other social struggles in Mexico. ”Our world is a space to express dreams and reality. We believe in an organization that is active every day and never gives up. Each line, color, and shape frame our destiny and the world we wish to create.”

Put the Pennsylvania Prison System on Trial! Municipal Services Building, Philadelphia. Monday, November 19, 2012 4:00pm Join Decarcerate PA to put Governor Corbett & Department of Corrections Secretary Wetzel on trial for crimes against Pennsylvanians. 15th & JFK Blvd (the Municipal Services Building plaza). We charge Governor
Corbett with the misuse of funds for taking money from our schools and putting it into the prison system. We charge Governor Corbett with continuing policies that lock up our families, friends and neighbors, destroy our communities and fail to make any of us safer. We charge Secretary Wetzel with human rights abuses for the inhumane conditions
in Pennsylvania's prisons. We demand Governor Corbett cancel all prison construction, support smart legislative reform to bring our neighbors home and keep them home, and invest in education, social services and health care to build safer, stronger communities! learn more: http://decarceratePA.info/

BLACK FRIDAY STRIKE AGAINST WALMART Stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters and support them - NO SHOPPING AT ANY WALMART IN AMERICA on Friday, November 23, 2012! Please watch this informative documentary about WalMart and their practices, 'WalMart: The High Cost of Low Prices': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jazb24Q2s94&noredirect=1 The historic retail worker strikes began last Friday in Los Angeles, when 60+ people walked off work, and they quickly spread across the country. Earlier in September, workers at warehouses owned by Walmart in Illinois and California also went on strike. Striking workers are demanding that Walmart end retaliatory practices against employees who attempt to organize by Nov. 23, Black Friday. If not, they will strike again on the biggest shopping day of the year.

Save the Date: LGBTQ Immigration Community Meeting II- November 29th from 6:30-8:30pm, William Way Community Center, 1315 Spruce Street.

Are you involved in the Sandy relief effort? Do you want to be? Organizers from all over the country and beyond have been gathering on these Occupy Sandy NJ nightly calls to download time-sensitive information and coordinate responses. The network is growing very rapidly. Join us. Together, we will overcome. http://interoccupy.net/occupysandynj/ai1ec_event/sandynjcoor/?instance_id

Events listed here include Occupy Philly related events as well as other social justice events. For more updates be sure to check the Occupy Philadelphia Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/OccupyPhiladelphia. Your support is greatly appreciated!