Schedule and Announcements for Saturday 11/24 and Sunday 11/25

1 view

Occupy Philly Daily Happenings

Nov 24, 2012, 1:48:40 AM11/24/12
Saturday November 24th
12:00pm  Lockheed-Ville - 230 Mall Boulevard (corner of Mall & Goddard Blvds.), King of Prussia, PA

Sunday November 25th
11:30am PFF/Occupy Vacant Lots Potluck & Strategy Sharing
2:00pm  Debt Strike Philly Organizing Meeting - Wooden Shoe Books - 704 South Street
2:00pm  PHARE/Wells Fargo working group - 1706 Race St.
5:00pm  Long Term Organizing MDU working group - Ethical Humanist Society, Rittenhouse Square

Saturday, November 24, Noon - 5pm. Welcome to LOCKHEED-VILLE where the profits of war matter,and people don't. Shanty-town encampment...Vigil for Justice at Lockheed Martin 230 Mall Boulevard (corner of Mall & Goddard Blvds.), King of Prussia, PA Just behind the King of Prussia Mall.  Bring your tent (if you can) and umbrella in the event of rain Brandywine Peace Community, P.O. Box 81, Swarthmore, PA 19081 (610) 544-1818  www.brandywinepeace.com

PFF/Occupy Vacant Lots Potluck & Strategy Sharing, this Sunday, 11/25. Start time at 11:30, but people will be rolling through all afternoon, just as our workparties run, & a point person will be taking notes at all times. We're trying to figure out our flow, since we usually don't have meetings & many of our volunteers don't seem to like rigid start times. *Bring:* warm clothes (the space is unheated), food to share, reusable dishes for yourself to eat with, water, notebook/paper, pen, brain, friends, & smiles. At our first planning meeting on 11/11, everyone who showed up was able to talk about their plans, hopes, dreams, projects, & ideas for our future & improvements we need to make. We want to start synthesizing these things into tangible tasks ASAP to get a head start on 2013, & we think that coming to consensus on breaking down into smaller groups by overarching tasks (Garden planning, Outreach, Art, Media, Legal, Finance, Construction, Point people, City liaisons, etc. as possible examples) will make things run more smoothly & be less taxing on all of us beautiful volunteers. This meeting space is large with many places for smaller groups to break-out & discuss/plan awesome things. Please join us any time at or after 11:30am to jump in & give your ideas, or just listen to get involved in the future. Contact phillyfo...@gmail.com for more information. Philly Food Forests & Occupy Vacant Lots <http://phillyfoodforests.org/>PFF Donation Wishlist <http://amzn.com/w/3V79LLK8YM3D6> http://ethicalfoods.com/philly-food-forests-and-occupy-vacant-lots/

Monday November 26th, 9am - Come out and support one of Occupy Philly's longtime livestreamers. Mike Pierce has been with us since our first organizing meeting at the Arch St Church and was part of the encampment at Dilworth. Now he needs our support for appealing his unjust arrest during the National Gathering. Come out Monday morning, November 26th, 9am Room 504 at the Criminal Justice Center, 13th & Filbert

Thursday November 29th, 7pm - Wooden Shoe Books - 704 South St - Practice What You Teach: Social Justice Education in the Classroom and the Streets with author Bree Picower. Many teachers enter the profession with a desire to "make a difference." But given who most teachers are, where they come from, and what pressure they feel to comply with existing school policies, how can they take up this charge? Practice What You Teach follows three different groups of educators to explore the challenges of developing and supporting teachers’ sense of social justice and activism at various stages of their careers: White pre-service teachers typically enrolled in most teacher education programs, a group of new teachers attempting to integrate social justice into their teaching, and experienced educators who see their teaching and activism as inextricably linked. Teacher educator Bree Picower delves into each of these group’s triumphs and challenges, providing strategies and suggestions for all teachers along with her in-depth analysis. By understanding all these challenges, pre-service and in-service teachers, along with teacher educators, will be in a better position to develop the kind of political analysis that lays the foundation for teacher activism. This timely resource helps prepare and support all educators to stand up for equity and justice both inside and outside of the classroom and offers a more nuanced portrait of what the struggle to truly "make a difference" looks like.

Friday November 30th, 7pm - Wooden Shoe Books - 704 South St - Nine-tenths of the Law: Nine-tenths of the Law: Property and Resistance in the United States With author Hannah Dobbz Nine-Tenths of the Law examines the history of squatting and property struggles in the United States, from colonialism and homesteading to 20th-century urban squatting and the foreclosure crisis of the late 2000s, and how such resistance movements shape the law. How does "property" fit into designs for an equitable society? This book is a toolbox for housing justice, as well as a guide for better understanding the foundation of American property law and the legacy of squatters who came before. Author Bio:Hannah Dobbz is a writer, editor, filmmaker, and former squatter. From 2004 and 2007, she filmed a documentary about squatters in the San Francisco East Bay called Shelter: A Squatumentary. She has toured extensively with the film, lecturing at conferences, universities, and community spaces across the country. She has written numerous articles about squatting and property law. Currently, Hannah lives in Pittsburgh, where she has grown quite fond of power tools.

Thursday December 6th, 7pm - Wooden Shoe Books - 704 South St - Spit and Passion: A reading with Cristy C. Road - At its core, Spit and Passion is about the transformative moment when music crashes into a stifling adolescent bedroom and saves you. Suddenly, you belong. At twelve years old, Cristy C. Road is struggling to balance tradition in a Cuban Catholic family with her newfound queer identity, and begins a chronic obsession with the punk band Green Day. In this stunning graphic biography, Road renders the clash between her rich inner world of fantasy and the numbing suburban conformity she is surrounded by. She finds solace in the closet—where she lets her deep excitement about punk rock foment, and finds in that angst and euphoria a path to self-acceptance. Cristy C. Road is a young Cuban American artist and writer from Miami; she currently lives in Brooklyn, New York. She has reached cult status for work that captures the beauty of the imperfect. Her career began with Greenzine, a punk rock zine, which she made for ten years. She has since published Indestructible, an illustrated novel about high school; Distance Makes the Heart Grow Sick, a postcard book; and Bad Habits, a love story about self-destruction and healing. She has also illustrated countless record album covers, book covers, political organizations propaganda, and magazine articles.

Friday December 7th, 7pm - Wooden Shoe Books - 704 South St - Symphonic Sedition: Strategy in Autonomist Organizing - How do we develop and evaluate effective tactics and sound strategies? Effective tactics are essential to any organizing effort. As part of sound strategies, they make goals attainable. During this presentation, we'll explore how effectics tactics and sound strategies are formed systematically. We'll also explore the importance of context in forming theories and plans. The presentation will conclude with the introduction of a project that is likely to change the way organizing is done in Philly and perhaps beyond. Presented by local autonomist organizer Lucid Strike.

Occupy Sandy is a coordinated relief effort to help distribute resources & volunteers to help neighborhoods and people affected by Hurricane Sandy. We are a coalition of people & organizations who are dedicated to implementing aid and establishing hubs for neighborhood resource distribution. Members of this coalition are from Occupy Wall Street, 350.org, recovers.org and interoccupy.net. Contact us: Info: Occup...@interoccupy.net Press: Sandy...@interoccupy.net Medics: Sandy...@interoccupy.net

Events listed here include Occupy Philly related events as well as other social justice events. For more updates be sure to check the Occupy Philadelphia Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/OccupyPhiladelphia. Your support is greatly appreciated!