Emergency meeting at State House 10:30 AM - 3 Strikes Law going to House

Occupy The Hood

Nov 16, 2011, 8:49:41 AM11/16/11
Emergency meeting at State House 10:30 AM - 3 Strikes Law going to House
House Roll Call at 11 AM

Now moved to House, the House version is 3811

See House Bill 3811
http://www.mass.gov/legis/journal/desktop/Current%20Agenda%202011/h3811.pdf

See the Bill that passed in Senate - Senate Bill 2059 for yourself:
http://www.malegislature.gov/Bills/187/Senate/S02059

On Thursday November 10th, the Massachusetts State Senate passed a criminal justice bill S.2059.  This dangerous bill threatens to increase our bloated prison population, cost tax payers millions more and make our communities less safe.

We must stop this bill from passing by contacting your State Representative!

Call: State House operator at (617) 722-2000 and ask to be connected to your State Representative.  If you don't know your State Rep, go to www.WhereDoIVoteMA.com and enter your address.

Message: "My name is ____, I'm a resident of Representative _____'s district.  I'm calling/emailing to send my strongest opposition to the 3-Strikes Bill that was passed by the Senate.  S.2059 does nothing to solve the real causes of crime, and instead wastes money on a harsh "tough on crime" idea that will not make us safer.  Please vote NO and ask Speaker DeLeo to say NO to a 3-Strikes Bill.  Thank you."

"An Act Relative to Habitual Offenders, Sentencing and Improving Enforcement Tools" is a dangerous proposal that will only set our communities backwards.  We expect that the House will be taking this legislation up within the next 48 hours.

Information on S.2059

Significant changes to the Massachusetts wiretap statute, enhanced criminal liability in DNA collection, expansion of the habitual offender law, mandatory post-release supervision and new standards of whom shall be eligible for parole and when were maintained.

Concerns that appeared in the original bill and were voted on favorably by the Senate include:

· One of the harshest 3-Strikes laws in the country by enhancing our present habitual offender statute.

· Increased number of years for parole eligibility for those serving life sentences from 15 to 25 years.

· Mandatory post-release supervision, which will add nine months to two years to sentences and result in fewer grants of parole.

· Wiretapping of anyone suspected of chapter 94C Controlled Substances offenses and all firearm offenses, except those lawfully permitted to possess or control a firearm, even if convicted of a felony. An amendment to the original bill provides for our wiretap statute to now mirror the federal law.

· Expanded criminal liability for anyone who does not provide a DNA sample, when so ordered, by changing the standard from “refuses to provide a sample” to “fails to provide a sample.”

· Reduction in the school zone from 1,000 ft. to only 500 ft., which does little to offset the “urban penalty” paid by city residents.

· Slight decrease in the mandatory minimum sentences for low-level nonviolent chapter 94C Controlled Substances offenses; an action that will not ease prison overcrowding, which is currently at 144% capacity.

Floor amendments of note include

· Requiring level 2 & 3 sex offenders to register at police stations in person within 2 days of release.

· Requiring that any mandatory minimum sentence imposed for a 3 rd strike from the list of predicate offenses under the new section 25(b) of chapter 279 MGL run from and after any sentence the defendant is serving at the time of sentencing.

· Requiring a prisoner demonstrate competency in program material for any good time obtained through successful completion of a 6-month program.

· Requiring the Parole Board certify, in writing, its satisfaction of the requirements for notification of the Attorney General, relevant District Attorney, chief of police and victims before a parole hearing is held for any person serving a life sentence.

· Allowing judges to include pets in temporary restraining orders.

· Making an attempt to disarm an on duty police officer a felony punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 10 years, or by a fine of not more than $1000, or imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than 2 ½ years.

· Requiring the commissioner of the Department of Correction to establish a prisoner re-entry and rehabilitation program at the beginning of a person’s sentence

* Please Call Your State Representative Today and Tell Them to VOTE NO On Any 3-Strikes or Mandatory Parole Proposals *

To view the Massachusetts Black & Latino Legislative Caucus contact info

--
WEB: www.blackstonian.com/occupythehood
EMAIL: occupythe...@gmail.com