recruitment during marches

Brett Williams

Dec 31, 2011, 8:08:04 PM12/31/11
to occupy-our-voic...@googlegroups.com
I like to sing and chant things while we're marching that invite
participation from the people we pass, so it doesn't seem like we're
yelling AT them. I saw a good chant in a video my friend took of an
Occupy Boston march:

"We don't need no sympathy! We just need your company!"

I think we should start that chant whenever we pass people on Church
St sitting there who say "That's great! I support you!" and then just
keep sitting there even though they clearly have nothing else to do.
:P

Superduper and I also wrote this song, to the tune of Go Tell Aunt Rhoda:

Occupy Wall Street
Occupy Everywhere
Come to our meetings
And invite all your friends
Occupy Wall Street
Occupy Burlington
Sundays 12:30
In City Hall Park

Any other ideas for how we can make our marches welcoming?

Here's one that just occurred to me: When we stop to talk to someone,
ask them, "Is there a chant you'd like me to start?" If they suggest
a chant and then the march is chanting that as we march away, they'll
feel super empowered, like "whoa, wait, did I really do that?" I bet
a lot of people would suggest something silly, so I bet it would be a
lot of fun. :D

<3,
mungojelly

Puja Gupta

Jan 1, 2012, 8:54:08 PM1/1/12
to occupy-our-voic...@googlegroups.com, so...@marlboro.edu
Hi mungojelly and all,

Wow, I really like the idea of asking people to give ideas for a chant and then doing them! :)

Also, we had put out there the idea of doing some singing this Tuesday, Jan. 3rd at 6pm at Kate Soule's house.  Are people still down for that?

I know there is the 1st legislative session happening on Tuesday and don't know how long it will go?

Thoughts guys?

Happy happy new year's and blessings and love,
puja

Katie Soule

Jan 2, 2012, 10:30:54 PM1/2/12
to occupy-our-voic...@googlegroups.com, so...@marlboro.edu
Hey, I sent an email to the group a few days ago, but maybe it didn't reach everyone. My house's been double-booked for Jan 3. I'd still really like to sing with everyone. Is there some other space we could occupy for singing that night?
Kate

Puja Gupta

Jan 3, 2012, 5:42:14 PM1/3/12
to occupy-our-voic...@googlegroups.com, so...@marlboro.edu
Hi folks,

seeing that no one's volunteered a place to sing and really responded, i think we need to postpone this singing tonight.

on that note, i can offer my home for a potluck/singing gathering.

i am unsure of my schedule and will email when i know - should be in next day or two.

blessings and love, all, and wishing you warm and coziness,
pujita