Action Opportunities

1 view

Margarita McLarty

Aug 15, 2013, 2:58:13 PM8/15/13
to occupy-...@googlegroups.com

UPCOMING ACTION OPPORTUNITIES

Activism is the rent I pay for living on this planet.

- Alice Walker

COMING SOON – DATE TO BE DETERMINED: "Free Bradley Now!"  COUNTY COURTHOUSE, MAIN & Third, BOZEMAN

On the day immediately following the sentencing announcement of heroic WikiLeaks whistle-blower Bradley Manning by the military court at Fort Meade, Maryland, join us in concert with rallies around the country to declare "Free Bradley Now!"  Come celebrate, protest, and/or simply show your support for Bradley. Our primary message for these response rallies: "President Obama: Pardon Bradley Manning"   We will likely have one day notice before sentencing occurs..  Sentencing could occur as soon as Friday, August 16th.     CONTACT:  Margarita McLarty, mailto:ma...@wispwest.net

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28th,  5 PM

COUNTY COURTHOUSE, MAIN & Third, Bozeman

Friends -

August 28th marks the Fiftieth Anniversary of the March On Washington, at which Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his "I have a dream" speech. For many of us, it is a significant and important day in American history. I plan to stand at 5:00 PM in front of the Courthouse on that day with a flag and a sign saying "I have a Dream," and perhaps pictures of Dr. King and of the march. No program, no speakers - just a presence to commemorate the occasion.  Concurrent commemoration events will be happening around the country, including in front of the Lincoln Memorial, site of the original speech, where President Obama will be speaking. Please join me.  Dan Lourie,   tyda...@gmail.com

SEPTEMBER 15th & 16TH, HELENA, MONTANA

join this September's Showdown Against Coal Exports, link: http://http://coalexportaction.org/septembersignup/ where we will once again bring direct action to Montana's capital city to push for a rejection of Arch Coal's Otter Creek Mine. A Message from Rick Bass:
Once every few generations, civil rights and social justice issues that have long been buried, tamped down, emerge; the pressure of the injustice below becomes greater than the overburden that has previously been suppressing that wrong. Such is the case now with the United States’ relationship to dirty coal and global warming. A moral decision is upon us, one which we will either engage or ignore.
In Montana, we find ourselves gatekeepers to nothing less than the future of the world’s weather. We did not ask for this responsibility but we have been tasked with it, by virtue of our amazing good fortune to be residents of this incredible state…
Montana is the gate through which the entire world’s climate future passes. We must do everything we can to guard that gate and make wise choices—not just for ourselves, but for others who are unable to participate in this defense...
The folks at Blue Skies are asking for your calm, dignified, peaceful resistance, via the time-honored American tradition of civil disobedience. Being arrested is essentially a necessary communication skill, at this point. The Land Board is not hearing—or not understanding—and it is therefore necessary to try a different form of communication.

...Blue Skies volunteers will help walk you through this incredibly noble and empowering experience, one that is helping change the dialogue and discussion on whether Montana will be the leader in converting the world to a coal-based economy, or the moral leader in preventing that planned conversion, of which the proposed Otter Creek sale is the first critical piece in an insidious and complicated and world-devastating business plan.

Please sign up to resist calmly, with great civility and pride. In addition to feeling good about doing your best to protect what you love and believe in, you won’t believe how much fun it is, too. It’s a great way to spend a few hours. Thank you….

Contact:  Nick Engelfried  mailto:nicke.a...@gmail.com