Local Guantanamo Action

1 view

Margarita

May 17, 2014, 4:03:11 PM5/17/14
to occupy-...@googlegroups.com

May 23, 2014

 5:30 PM

RALLY

GALLATIN COUNTY COURTHOUSE, 311 W. Main Street, Bozeman

Global Day of Action to Close Guantanamo and End Indefinite Detention

Not another Broken Promise! Not another Day in Guantanamo!

On May 23rd of last year, President Obama again promised to close the detention facility at Guantanamo. His pledge came in response to the mass hunger strike by men protesting their indefinite detention and to the renewed, global condemnation of the prison. One year later, far too little has changed: few detained men have left the prison and hunger strikes and force feeding continues.

Demonstrations will be taking place across the United States and the world to demand that President Obama and the US Congress end indefinite detention and close the prison at Guantanamo.

Please join us at a spirited demonstration at Gallatin County Courthouse, 311 W. Main St., Bozeman, MT on Friday, May 23rd at 5:30pm.

During his May 2013 speech, President Obama asked the American people: “Look at the current situation, where we are force feeding detainees who are being held on a hunger strike . . . Is this who we are?” Sadly, as we face yet another broken promise, this is who we are— a country that indefinitely detains and brutalizes the men in Guantanamo.

The May 23rd Day of Action is being coordinated by Witness Against Torture in collaboration with Amnesty International, the National Religious Campaign Against Torture, Code Pink, the Center for Constitutional Rights, Veterans for Peace, World Can’t Wait, Blue Lantern, the Torture Abolition and Survivor Support Coalition, CloseGitmo.net, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, and September 11 Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, among others.

Local Contact:   Deb VanPoolen      debi...@gmail.com