Invitation to an Evening Event

Margarita

May 6, 2014, 6:49:19 PM5/6/14
to occupy-...@googlegroups.com

Artistic Witness:

Debra Van Poolen 6:30 pm

Wednesday May 14th

Community Room, Library,

228 W. Callender, Livingston

6:30 pm Thursday ,May 15th Christus Collegium, 714 S. 8TH, Bozeman

Deb Van Poolen will share some of her evocative artwork and compelling stories from her recent experiences as an ARTIST  at WHISTLEBLOWER Chelsea (BRADLEY) MANNING’s Court Martial

 Each day throughout the summer of 2013 Van Poolen  created sketches at the court martial of Private Chelsea (Bradley)  Manning, who courageously blew the whistle on war crimes..

 April 5 is the fourth anniversary of Chelsea Manning's leak of the Collateral Murder video of footage from an Apache helicopter which shows trigger-happy soldiers killing twelve civilians. Manning, former US intelligence officer, also leaked massive troves of documents which include details about war crimes committed by US army personnel, such as the condoning of torture and killing of innocent civilians in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Four years after the releases, not one of the people implicated of war crimes in those documents or in the Collateral Murder video has been prosecuted. Rather, Chelsea Manning was arrested on May 29, 2010, charged with 22 crimes, endured a three-month court martial throughout the summer of 2013, and was sentenced on August 21, 2013 to 35 years in prison. As of the writing of this article, she has been in jail 1405 days, or almost four years.

 Van Poolen paints the characters and places directly connected to human and environmental rights abuses.   In today’s world, where so many words fall short on meaning, Deb hopes her images speak clearly towards today’s needs: justice, dignity and peace.   Van Poolen recently appeared on Russia Today TV talking about her Artistic Witness work: http://rt.com/shows/breaking-set-summary/war-criminal-art-show-517/

 “Chelsea Manning’s story inspired me to make courtroom sketches each day of the three month court martial.  My goal was to help publicize the historic trial which the world’s mainstream media was mostly ignoring.”   ~ Deb VanPoolen

 DEB’S WEBSITE:    DebVanPoolen.com

Event sponsored by Montana Women For…           Information:  333-4746

Joe Newman

May 18, 2014, 11:54:37 AM5/18/14
to occupy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margarit,
I forgot about this, I really need to get a calendar going.  I often look at Bozone online for my events.  I wonder if it would be much hassle to put notices on that, it might reach a lot of people.  Just a suggestion.
Best regards
Joe

ma...@wispwest.net

May 18, 2014, 12:24:55 PM5/18/14
to occupy-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joe for the suggestion - I'll see if I can figure out how to post to Bozone.
Meanwhile, another event coming up....

margarita

MAY 17.2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 23, 2014

 5:30 PM

RALLY

GALLATIN COUNTY COURTHOUSE, 311 W. Main Street, Bozeman

Global Day of Action to Close Guantanamo and End Indefinite Detention

Not another Broken Promise! Not another Day in Guantanamo!

On May 23rd of last year, President Obama again promised to close the detention facility at Guantanamo. His pledge came in response to the mass hunger strike by men protesting their indefinite detention and to the renewed, global condemnation of the prison. One year later, far too little has changed: few detained men have left the prison and hunger strikes and force feeding continues.

Demonstrations will be taking place across the United States and the world to demand that President Obama and the US Congress end indefinite detention and close the prison at Guantanamo.

Please join us at a spirited demonstration at Gallatin County Courthouse, 311 W. Main St., Bozeman, MT on Friday, May 23rd at 5:30pm.

During his May 2013 speech, President Obama asked the American people: “Look at the current situation, where we are force feeding detainees who are being held on a hunger strike . . . Is this who we are?” Sadly, as we face yet another broken promise, this is who we are— a country that indefinitely detains and brutalizes the men in Guantanamo.

The May 23rd Day of Action is being coordinated by Witness Against Torture in collaboration with Amnesty International, the National Religious Campaign Against Torture, Code Pink, the Center for Constitutional Rights, Veterans for Peace, World Can’t Wait, Blue Lantern, the Torture Abolition and Survivor Support Coalition, CloseGitmo.net, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, and September 11 Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, among others.

Local Contact:   Deb VanPoolen      debi...@gmail.com