Fwd: [Assabet-discuss] Fw: Most important week for public bank bill -- hearing on June 15

Terra

Jun 12, 2017, 1:27:29 PM6/12/17

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Assabet-discuss] Fw: Most important week for public bank bill -- hearing on June 15
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 13:23:35 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: bclancy122--- via Assabet-Discuss <assabet...@greenrainbow.net>
To: assabet-...@greenrainbow.net, assabet...@greenrainbow.net

Hi all,
This is mostly fyi, but H3543, a bill that would create a Massachusetts state infrastructure bank, will have a hearing before the Joint Committee on Community Development and Small Businesses on Thursday, June 15, from 11 to 1 (there are other bills on the hearing list as well).

H3543 grew out of a working group on public banking that included input from Joanna Herlihy, Mel King and Merelice, as well as the Hub Public Banking group, which was originally focused on creating a public bank just for Boston, or for the Boston area, and which I've been part of on and off over the last few years. The proposed bank focuses on infrastructure because of perceived need--schools, parks, public water & sanitation, bridges, roads, etc. in bad shape--and because of the ties between infrastructure and job creation, which was a particular focus for Mel. It leaves the door open to adding more types of banking services (though not retail banking) in the future, similar to the Bank of North Dakota, which right now is the only state-level public bank in the US.

For those of you in Jamie Eldridge's senate district, he's in favor of a public bank as a concept but hasn't co-sponsored this particular bill, though he has cosponsored S1958, which establishes a bond-funded source of infrastructure funding. So have some local representatives.Aside from Jamie, there's no Community Development and Small Business committee members in our area, so at this point all you can do if you're interested in supporting this bill is to ask your rep for support--they can't offcially co-sponsor but they can still write a letter in support of the bill, I believe.

The link to H3543 is here: https://malegislature.gov/Bills/190/H3543

Barbara